Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

From Hopeful to Nothing: My Compounding Frustrations


Replies to: From Hopeful to Nothing: My Compounding Frustrations

  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member

    PLEASE call the suicide hotline immediately. .800.273.8255.

    Also, note that you use your 2015 income for FAFSA -- NOT 2016. You use the income from the calendar year TWO years before the calendar year you start college. For college start in 2017, that's 2015 tax year. Come back here and we can help you figure something out.

    By the way, University of Missouri has a GREAT journalism program. If you stay in the state for 12 consecutive months you can get in-state tuition.
  • socalmom007socalmom007 Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    Figure out what your cost of attendance at ND will be. It sounds like there should be some scholarships in your financial aide package. UA Huntsville has a full tuition scholarship with 30 act and their deadline is June 1st. You'll need to see what the room and board costs will be. You can take out $5500 in student loans yourself, that has got to get you close to ND or UAH with a summer job and maybe a little help from your parents? This is doable, you've worked hard and you have options.
  • Wien2NCWien2NC Registered User Posts: 941 Member

    you might still be able to get the 4-year full-tuition scholarship at Minot State. call them to see. if not, you can work for a year (don't take any college classes during that time) and apply for 2018-2019. they do have a broadcasting major. the room and board is about $6K per year..


  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,459 Senior Member
    I hope you are just venting your totally understandable frustration.... please call the helpline if needed.

    When you are in a healthy frame of mind, please get that FAFSA done.

    As others have noted, you do not need 2016 taxes for the FAFSA, they have switched to prior-prior-year, so 2015 taxes (the ones that were due April 2016). You will need a print out of your taxes on paper because the IRS retrieval tool is down. The EFC will be too high since it includes income from the job your dad no longer has, but until you've filed the first set of required data, you can't appeal for additional help based on your current situation.

    This stuff is not easy, but we are trying to help.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Please come back and tell us how you are doing, @HopelessinNorthDakota.
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 743 Member
    Are you familiar with the WUE programs?
    They allow students from the contiguous Western states to apply to participating schools,
    and pay in-state tuition plus 50%, at many out of state schools.
    Not all schools in all states participate, but if you're really looking to get out of ND, then it's worth a look.


    To see which schools have the major that you're looking for, click on the School Search: Find Your Major button in the right-side gutter.

    While it may never be as cost-effective as your in-state options, many schools will gt you very close.

    Good luck.
  • DiotimaDMDiotimaDM Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    On your ACT, did your superscore change? Some schools superscore the ACT, so your superscore composite may have changed if you got different subsection scores in the second sitting.
  • VAOptimistVAOptimist Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    edited March 27
    Would you consider Utah state? They use a formula to determine scholarship for tuition based on GPA/ACT. Then they encourage you to establish residency by living in Logan 12 months. They take applications until August 1. I would encourage you to call and see if you are eligible for a tuition reduction scholarship for 2017-18.

    Logan is a great college town and my d's friend was able to get a part time job to help with expenses. Room and board is also low.

    Another tip, if one of your parents has bad credit, they should apply for a parent plus loan and get rejected. This allows you to take out an additional $4 k in your name.

    I'm sorry this happened to you. If UND is your best choice, see if you can transfer or do an exchange after freshman year.
Sign In or Register to comment.