Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Transfer from CSU to UC? (quality of education)

478Conquistador478Conquistador Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I was accepted to UC Davis for material sciences and engineering (plan to transfer to EE), but my family is reluctant to send me to Davis because it is 400 miles from home and they're used to me taking care of the home and family, which will change if I leave. Worst comes to worst, I have to go to CSU Fullerton and transfer. My only two concerns are 1. If I transfer from a CSU, LA, Berkeley, San Diego, and Irvine are the only possible UCs for transfer if I'm willing to sacrifice Davis for Fullerton. I'm unaware of the chances of that happening. and 2. I don't know how different the quality of education will be at a CSU vs. UC because if the difference is significantly large, I can't waste two years knowing I could have learnt more. If someone can provide me with information on CSU vs UC education quality and the chances of transfer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Replies to: Transfer from CSU to UC? (quality of education)

• NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 4,861 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    Your situation is unfortunate but, i think you overestimate the CSU/UC quality gap significantly - especially for lower division courses. Going to Fullerton won't be a waste of time - unless you make it so. That said, if you plan to transfer to a UC, I'd steer you toward a CC where you can use the TAG/TAP framework (not to mention save big on tuition)

See what you can do to get to Davis, maybe use some summer earnings to hire some help for those you leave behind. There are many breaks in the school year and you'll be home regularly (especially if you live in the dorms where you are kicked out over breaks). Also, It is hard to get back into a school of that caliber. Earning the 3.5+ GPA required to transfer to UCSD in an engineering discipline is a pretty tall order - even at a CC.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admissions-source-school
    use the Transfer by Year and Transfer GPA by Yr tabs to confirm that none of the 20 Fullerton applicants to UCLA was admitted last year.
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 743 Member
    I agree with NCalRent, that transferring from a community college (CC) could be a much better choice.
    If you're thinking of attending a CSU, then transferring to a UC won't be an easy straight shot.
    Preference is given first to those transfer students coming from CC's,
    then to intra-UC transfers, then to CSU's then, to private school transfers.

To maximize your chances of transfer to the UC of your choice,
    a CC really is a much better - and less expensive - path.
    The TAG system can minimize some of the anxiety.
    http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/tag-matrix.pdf

If you do choose the CC>UC route however, make sure that you begin your transfer advising from Day 1.
    http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/transfer/advising/index.html
    Many classes which may seem to fulfill IGETC or other articulation paths may not qualify, which would extend your time at the CC to more than two years.

Sorry that you're facing this, but your situation is not unusual.
    Best of luck with your decisions.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
    Your family is not entitled to you taking care of them. If they legitimately can't afford it, that's a different thing. But UC Davis IS a better school than CSU Fullerton.
  • my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    I agree that if you can afford UCD you should go. There are no assurances that you will be able to transfer and don't assume you will transfer will all credits and be on schedule to graduate in 4 years. A fifth year is costly and a strong possibility with a transfer.