Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCLA vs. UW Chemistry Program

stressedd2017stressedd2017 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I have recently been admitted directly into UCLA and the University of Washington's chemistry programs. I am a Washington resident. Which of the two schools has a better chemistry program and does it really matter to go to a school with the better chemistry program?

Replies to: UCLA vs. UW Chemistry Program

• UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    Both have state of the art chemistry programs and facilities and appear toward the top of this list of great chemistry programs in our neck of the woods:

http://chemistry-schools.com/west
  • harvard_and_berkeleyharvard_and_berkeley Registered User Posts: 1,178 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    Unless your family is very wealthy such that OOS tuition is pocket change, then this isn't even a question: go to U Washington with in-state tuition. At the undergraduate level, their chemistry programs will be indistinguishable.

U Washington has an outstanding reputation in STEM in its own right.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,369 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    ^^^ I'm betting this is pocket change ;-)

The top 1% in the country have annual incomes of $1.2 million or better according to http://www.investopedia.com/news/how-much-income-puts-you-top-1-5-10

The typical poster here is much more likely to be in the top percentiles than the bottom. So if 5% of those posting here come from families in the top 1%, the chances are 1 in 20 that the OP has a family with that kind of income. Which makes the $25K OOS tuition indeed pocket change...

As a loyal CA resident trying to raise $1 million for the UC system, I just need 10 OOS kids to attend. The OP sounds like a great candidate!!!
    edited April 2017
    I'm with you @mikemac, but I'd rather have them come from somewhere other than Washington. :)
    @mikemac, closer to $35K/yr difference in tuition, room and board, but your point still stands (and at that rate, you only need 7 to 8 to raise the $1 million).
This discussion has been closed.