Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Need help deciding on an engineering school

NickM8283NickM8283 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
I have looked at Iowa State and Michigan Tech for engineering. I have a 4.0 gpa, 33 ACT, and ranked 1/271 in my class. With my stats, should I be looking at better schools like Purdue or University of Michigan? How much of a difference will the college I choose make? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Replies to: Need help deciding on an engineering school

• eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    What state are you from?
  • NickM8283NickM8283 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Minnesota
  • RMNiMiTzRMNiMiTz Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    @NickM8283

What can you afford and what are you majoring in (not just engineering but what sort of engineering)?
    I have looked into aerospace, computer, and electrical, but I was thinking of going in undecided engineering my first year and taking some classes to help decide. With cost, I don't want to spend too much, but I feel like I will be able to get many scholarships.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,547 Senior Member
    "I don't want to spend too much"

You need to define that specifically with your parents. Find out your EFC then find out their budget...how much can they spend per year on your college?

Ok, but money aside for now, how are MTU and ISU? Should I be looking at schools like Purdue with my gpa and act?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 63,552 Senior Member
    NickM8283 wrote:
    I have looked into aerospace, computer, and electrical, but I was thinking of going in undecided engineering my first year and taking some classes to help decide.

Engineering majors are often oversubscribed. This means that, for each school you may go to, you may want to consider whether:

a. You apply to the specific major and are admitted in the major, but changing majors may be difficult or competitive.
    b. You apply to the engineering division and are admitted to first year pre-engineering. Then you take frosh level courses, decide on a major, and apply to it. In some schools, some majors may have high GPA requirements or competitive admission to enter.
    c. You apply with one of the above application methods, but the school may choose to admit you as non-engineering undeclared. In this case, it is likely to be more difficult to switch into an engineering major than if you are admitted to the major or first year pre-engineering.

As others have noted, you also need to talk to your parents to see what they are willing to contribute, so that you can tailor your list to affordable schools. Run net price calculators on school web sites to check their financial aid estimates. Schools vary on the size and availability of merit scholarships.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    edited May 18
    What's your net cost at each? What did you like about each? They're fairly different. Why isn't UMN in the hunt? How far are you willing to be away from home?

ISU is 29,000 (room and board included)
    MTU is 43,000 (room and board included)
    MTU offers significant scholarships and would bring the price down comparable to ISU. I really liked the ISU campus and dorms. MTU is much smaller, but seems to have better academics. I haven't really considered UoM because I don't really want to be in a large metropolis area in a school of 50,000 students.
    Driving distance from home would be nice, but not a deciding factor
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    Michigan Tech is good. I've worked with several grads and for one, and they've almost all impressed me. All but one, and she's not a bad engineer at all.

I recommended it over Purdue, UMich, and several others to my own child.

I don't know IA State, so can't comment.
    At first I meant them to be separate questions, but they kind of became the same thing, sorry
    I have started looking into colleges and have went on a couple tours. With a 4.0 gpa and a 33 act, I am wondering what colleges for engineering would be good. Right now, I'm just thinking general, I have yet to get into specifics with many colleges. I am just looking for some ideas.
  • sciencenerd123sciencenerd123 Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Caltech, WPI, RPI, RIT, Georgia Tech, Columbia, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Purdue, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice

^Just some ideas. Some of those are easier to get into than others
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,513 Senior Member
    What is your home state?