right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Time for another thread for B and C students

Replies to: Time for another thread for B and C students

• sbgal2011sbgal2011 273 replies21 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm also a big girl at 50 years of age, so peer pressure has not been a factor in my life for quite some time. My son doesn't worry about other people's opinions either. He knows what he can handle and what he can't, and he will do just fine. We are well-versed in handling our finances as well. No worries
    · Reply · Share
  • sbgal2011sbgal2011 273 replies21 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Safe travels and let us know how it goes! @bjkmom
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7942 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks. They offered her $5000-- I can't begin to tell you what that did for her ego. Nope, I don't care if they give it to every kid who walks in the door, it made her feel good about herself. If we combine that with a $5000 loan, it comes in at just about the price of a SUNY. I'm hoping she loves it.
    · Reply · Share
  • GatormamaGatormama 1045 replies20 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Y'all, I posted a review of Stockton U in NJ -- it looks like a great option for B&C students.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21222385/#Comment_21222385
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    Let's start by saying how impressed I am with the casual mention of Bronx Science!

I guess we can all parent the way we choose.

Yesterday I saw a neighbor call her 5 year old a "bad friend" because she chose not to make small talk with a classmate she encountered. How sad... 5 years old and already not measuring up to mom's expectations.

I'm a big believer in being my kids' biggest advocate. There are enough people willing to take them down a peg... it's not coming from their mom. I have wonderful, happy, healthy, independent, charitable, hard working, empathetic kids. If they don't get the highest grades in their class, I can absolutely live with that.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • mstompermstomper 1022 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @HRSMom, Our sons almost sound like the same kid. Ours has a couple of semester D's that came purely from not turning things in. SATs are almost identical to your son. Ours got $15000 from Ithaca, but the grant aid came in 5k under what the NPC had predicted. He got into the Park School of Communication there, which we believe would be a competitive/stressful environment for him. He was in a competitive magnet program when he started HS, but he was miserable and we convinced him to drop out. He seems to like getting into prestigious programs, but hates doing the required work. We hope he'll decide to go to McDaniel (a CTCL that offered enough money for it to be a little less than a state school), but his status-conscious grandfather is making noises about paying more than had originally been agreed upon for him to go. Why would a kid who has never liked school enter a more competitive program with a GPA requirement to keep the scholarship? This has my wife and I pulling our hair out. Add to that our S16, another B student (albeit with stratospheric test scores) who only passed 3 classes in college and decided it wasn't for him.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The 3.0 to keep the $ is a big factor for us too.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3884 replies288 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have a friend whose daughter got a very generous Ithaca College Park Scholarship. They turned it down because the required GPA is 3.5. There was no way they could afford the school without the scholarship and it just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

https://www.ithaca.edu/parkscholars/award/
    · Reply · Share
    Made it up to NH..to a series of signs every 4minites warning of an impending winter storm. Tomorrow’s ride home may be slow and steady. It’s snowing now, though not much is sticking yet. At least the tour will give my daughter a real idea of school in Nee Hampshire.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My sons Ithaca letter did not give a minimum GPA. I wonder if there is one?
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41768 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    If there's a storm, stay put. Don't take risks!
    (We need the rest of your adventures, and not in the 'am in hospital' way....) Do have a great tour. Should be a both realistic and pretty tour.

To know whether a scholarship has a GPA requirement, look up the combination " college x"+ scholarship name in ".."+"GPA" plus email financial aid ;).
    A 3.0 is ok to maintain. A 3.4 is harder, check if it's each semester or cumulative and whether there's a semester's leeway to bring it back up. 3.5+ is very risky and should only be attempted by a student who is very steady, had excellent time management skills, and mostly As in high school (or can handle IB rigor with a 34+). I don't think a scholarship that requires a 3.5 college GPA is for a B/C student.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share