right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Tough (and Odd) College Enrolment Decision

Danny3895Danny3895 125 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
Hello everyone!

I am an international student with decent grades and scores. However, I was unable to get into my top-choice colleges along with one safety school I applied. I and my counselor was completely shocked to find that out as I am not a bad student overall. But I was looking for large amount of aid and most of my schools were need-aware.

I have gotten into one college in Boston called Suffolk University. And not sure if I should go in or take a gap year and repplay next year while improving my weakness. The problem is I am already one year older than the rest of class because I went on an exchange program in US where I had to repeat the class again back home.

I would like to hear some suggestions here. Should I go to this college and transfer to a good place next year or take a gap year and reapply to top schools again?
34 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Tough (and Odd) College Enrolment Decision

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76129 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,792 Senior Member
    Is Suffolk affordable, and does it offer what you want to study?

Why not universities in your country of citizenship or residency?
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    What would you do to improve your application over a gap year? If you don't do anything that would boost your applications, you need to look at schools a step below the ones that rejected you.

Even if you enroll at Suffolk, the schools you try to transfer to should be a different list of schools, not the same ones that rejected you. Include safer safeties and don't reach quite so high in your new list.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8848 replies473 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    If you needed a lot of aid, you shouldn't have been shocked. The same thing is likely to,happen next year to be honest. If your goal is the US or bust, and they offered enough aid and you like the school, you should go for it. On the other hand, you could spend a lot less money staying in your own country,,or attending college elsewhere in the world.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7837 replies153 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    Our nation has a billion kids who are "not a bad student overall." And please believe me-- the vast majority also could use a lot of aid.

Who advised you to apply to ONE safety school--- and as a "not bad student" from overseas who needed large amounts of aid?? My first step would be to go to someone else for advice.

I'm assuming that you did some homework before applying to Suffolk. If it's the one school that accepted you, and it's the one that's giving you the aid you need, then it looks to me as though your decision is made.

One question though-- weren't deposits due on May 1? Is Suffolk still an option, a month later?
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    Also note that UK unis and other European unis tend to have much more predictable admissions, but they don't really offer fin aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5218 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,219 Senior Member
    "I am an international student ... But I was looking for large amount of aid"

You should be happy if you got sufficient aid anywhere in the US. There are a huge number of students who are "not a bad student overall" and would like to come to the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • SyrxisSyrxis 214 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    edited May 2017
    You say that you are thinking about taking another year off to improve on weaknesses but it seems like your major flaw is your financial situation which would be hard to improve in a year. If you're hellbent on going to the US, Suffolk isn't bad! Boston is a great city.
    edited May 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29305 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,474 Senior Member
    Who was advising you through the application process? One of the first things that person should have told you that admissions is harder for full-pay international applicants than it is for full-pay US applicants and that admissions is much much more difficult for international applicants who need financial aid than it is for US applicants who need aid. This means that the only safeties for international students who need aid are the small number of institutions that guarantee admissions and aid for international students with certain grades and test scores. It really, truly, is that simple.

How badly do you want to study in the US? Do you have the grades and test scores that would guarantee admissions and aid at any of the places such as U of Alabama that do offer that? If you like any of those better than Suffolk, then take your gap year and apply to them. Here is one older list to look through for ideas: http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/

There also is nothing wrong with studying in your own country, and coming here for another semester or year of exchange. Think about that option too.

· Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    ^ Or grad school, if the home country undergrad is of high enough quality.
    · Reply · Share
  • Danny3895Danny3895 125 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Thank you so much everyone for your valuable suggestions and feedbacks. I did over this course of year realised how difficult it is to get an admission for an international student with aid. I also realized how significant role does money play in this college process.

I am particularly not inclined towards studying in my home country due to poor quality of undergraduate education. And I believe some of the schools I applied to could have catered to my potential interests and intellectual curiosity. Overall, it's been a very tough and traumatizing year for me due to this random college admission process.
    · Reply · Share
  • TTGTTG 1662 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    I'd vote for Suffolk. You are accepted and can get going on your education. Boston is a great city for college students, arguably the best in the US. There are dozens of universities within 10-15 miles of Suffolk, many with large student populations. I'm an advocate of the idea that HOW you to go school is much more important than WHERE you go. If you go to Suffolk, embrace the opportunity, learn from and with the amazing people in the community, and treat everyone with dignity and respect, you'll do well. If you find by early in your second semester that it does not suit you, you can apply for transfer. You'll be take introductory classes anywhere, so might as well get them done next year, if it is affordable for you at Suffolk. That said, it is harder to get aid as a transfer student, so that might be a challenge. But, as you've seen, it's hard to get aid as an international student anyway.

One other question, Boston is a very expensive city. Does aid include housing? I don't know much about Suffolk (have seen it when in Boston), but I don't think there is much campus housing. Can you afford off-campus housing there? Does your aid include housing? For next year only, or going forward as well? Good luck (and bring a coat and boots if you attend Suffolk, Boston is cold and snowy.)!
    · Reply · Share
  • Danny3895Danny3895 125 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @TTG Hello! Thank you so much for your detailed comment. I have been placed into their honors program and been given sufficient aid that I can afford on-campus housing as well. They have special housing for honors student so I can avail that opportunity. And aid is renewable for four years of program.
    · Reply · Share
    And let me also clarify about the financial situation. I was asking for substantial amount of aid from all the colleges I applied to, however, have successfully acquired greater external funding so that would significantly increase my family expected contribution for next year if I take a gap year. It is only possible because of this external funding that I am able to afford Suffolk university.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaryGJMaryGJ 782 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 808 Member
    Sounds like a terrific opportunity, Danny. Do well in your classes and after a year, apply for transfer to your reach schools. Can't hurt to try. All they can say is no. In the mean time, you've got a solid backup plan. I say go for it. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
    A slight update: I have also gotten into York University in Toronto, Canada. But definitely want to continue studying in US. Which university would slightly help me in transferring to a good place next year? York or Suffolk? I am aware that transfer would be immensely difficult for an international student asking for aid but nothing was easy this year as well.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity