Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Good Colleges for Political Science?

atl4444atl4444 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
What are some good colleges for political science besides the Ivies and other colleges with really low acceptance rates? I have a 3.6 GPA UW (90 cumulative) and I got a 30 on the ACT (I am taking it again.) I've also taken SAT Subject Tests, and have participated in extra curricular involving mainly social studies (world affairs, current events, history, politics, etc). I have also won regional awards in competitions regarding world affairs and I attended DC this year for a competition (I met Senators, Congressmen, etc.) I've done some more but that's just a brief overview.

Replies to: Good Colleges for Political Science?

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,994 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    GW and American would be good for your academic interests and should be reasonably accessible to you in terms of selectivity.

For colleges with strong government/public policy programs, but with a greater undergraduate emphasis, look into Bates, Davidson, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Hobart & William Smith, Holy Cross, Hamilton, Kenyon, Macalester and Trinity (CT). At least two of these schools offer term-length programs in D.C. Some may offer "public affairs" type centers on campus. Several from this group would be reaches, however.

Syracuse, a fairly safe admit for you, is another school that would be strong for your interests.
  • atl4444atl4444 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    @merc81 given the information that I have provided, would Trinity be a reach?
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    Based on your current academic profile Trinity should be a match; Bates, Holy Cross, Kenyon and Macalester reaches; Davidson and Hamilton super reaches.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,994 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    @atl4444 : I tend to agree with @Chembiodad 's groupings. Overall I probably gave you a reach-heavy list, with Trinity being a rough match for you though.
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    Don't forget SMU and Emory, which have Presidential libraries, which attract speaking talent and offer resources for research.
This discussion has been closed.