Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Finalizing List

Replies to: Finalizing List

• Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 2,769 Senior Member
    @Glorfindel1

Run those Net Price Calculators, and use the most accurate info you can get your hands on. You need to find out if the schools, even if they meet full need, will give you enough to make it work for your family.

Both my husband and I have fluctuating incomes, and the calculators spat out very different numbers, for us, depending on whether we put in a "good year" or a "bad year".

One of our kids is at UK on the Patterson Scholarship. Lots of bright kids there who could not turn down a full ride offer on the table.

We are out of state, so we have additional travel expenses, and we also had to buy the student health plan because our home plan would not give her coverage there. That's about $2200 ? per year.

For families on tight budgets, don't forget the cost of travel, health insurance if applicable, books and personal expenses. For any full tuition scholarships, take a hard look at room & board costs. For example, we were looking at a full tuition scholarship from Fordham, but the room & board (~17K!!) + travel + health insurance, etc. put it out of reach even with the scholarship.

Good luck!
  • Glorfindel1Glorfindel1 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @tk21769 Thanks for that link, I'm liking URochester as an option, wiki says it is ned blind and meets full need. It also has lots of scholarships. Can I apply EA to multiple schools even if I apply ED to UChicago?

@MYOS1634 I don't really like the vibe a centre, lots of frats as well and I'm not sure about paying there. I do like Colby, I see it as a slightly less selective Bowdoin, like the outdoorsy nature of it plus its free to apply to. I'll look into QB again if I can, we'll see.

What are you all considering as matches? Would Kenyon be enough of a match to consider, they say they meet 100% of need and I like the school.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,501 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Due to acceptance rates, Kenyon is a reach.
    If you don't like the vibe at Centre, not sure you'd like the vibe at Rhodes.
    Matches would be St Olaf, Rhodes, St Lawrence, Dickinson, perhaps Denison if you find it interesting.
    You'd have a serious shot at Grinnell, Vassar, Macalester, and would be competitive for Middlebury in part because you have the stats they want but you stand out by bringing geographical diversity (Kentucky is under represented.)
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    Here's the list of the ~40 schools that are need blind and meet 100% of demonstrated need:

Barnard College (need-aware for transfer students)
    Boston College
    Bowdoin College (need-aware for transfer students)[
    Brown University (need-aware for international and transfer students)
    California Institute of Technology
    Claremont McKenna College
    College of the Holy Cross
    Columbia College, Columbia University (also meets full need for "eligible noncitizens")
    Cornell University
    Dartmouth College
    Davidson College
    Duke University
    Georgetown University (need-blind for all applicants)
    Grinnell College
    Hamilton College
    Haverford College
    Harvey Mudd College
    Johns Hopkins University
    Middlebury College
    Northwestern University
    Olin College
    Pomona College
    Rice University
    Soka University of America
    St. John's College (Annapolis/Santa Fe)
    Stanford University
    Swarthmore College
    University of Chicago
    University of Michigan (in-state students only)
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    University of Notre Dame
    University of Pennsylvania (also applies for Canadian and Mexican students)
    University of Richmond
    University of Rochester (also applies for Canadian and Mexican students)
    University of Southern California
    University of Virginia
    Vanderbilt University
    Vassar College
    Wellesley College
    Williams College
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 20,367 Senior Member
    Since you want to run in college, definitely reach out to coaches. Haverford's long term track/cross country coach is highly regarded and has teams with a lot of camaraderie.
    Agree with @doschicos; you'll want to reach out to coaches now as they are putting together their ED lists over the summer. Haverford has a great D3 team, and unlike NESCAC which doesn't allow admissions pre-reads until July 1, the Centennial Conference will do them now.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,604 Senior Member
    Re: URochester ...

According to the "need blind" Wiki page I linked above, URochester is need-blind and full-need.
    However, according to its US News entry it meets 95% of demonstrated need on average, and meets the full need in < 90% of cases (https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-rochester-2894/paying). URochester does not seem to publish a Common Data Set, so we can't use that to verify what's what. So again ... run their NPC.
    Can I apply EA to multiple schools even if I apply ED to UChicago?

I want to say yes, but read the fine print.
    As far as I know, all EA (other than SCEA) applications are non-restrictive w.r.t. other applications.
    Of course, if UChicago accepts you in that ED round, you'll be expected to withdraw all other applications (unless you truly can't afford to accept their offer).
    https://blog.****/ea-vs-ed-vs-rea/
    For running in college, I would be competitive on an average DIII team, nothing better.

Biggest question - do you all recommend I apply to more lower admit higher aid schools like Kenyon or Grinnell instead of Rhodes, Wooster, and St. Olaf, which seem to be the schools with issues on my list, or look elsewhere? Most of the schools I am seeing suggested are reachier schools. URochester looks like a good option, I will try to run an NPC now. Looking into Dickinson as well.

Also, do I have a decent chance at getting into at least one of my reaches? I know I should not count on it but...
    Bowdoin, Chicago and Williams are super reaches for everyone - athletic support in ED would make it a safer reach , but you would need to be a scorer to get that. Haverford is a reach that is tricky because it's so small; Colby and Davidson are also reaches, especially Colby as acceptance rate is plummeting - athletic support as just a mid pack runner would probably help at Colby and Haverford, but not Davidson as it's D1.
    @Chembiodad Thanks, I would be scoring at UChicago, not at Williams, and I don't know about Bowdoin. I really love Chicago and will try to talk to the coach and apply ED to up my chances. Two people have gotten in from my school in recent years and I have just as good or better scores/classses than them, not that that means anything but it helps that they know my school.

Ran a rough NPC, don't have the info in front of me but I used old NPCs, and Rochester is too much (22,000) Kenyon is a lot as well (just under 10,000).
    Bowdoin XC is not anywhere near as competitive as Williams and it's in a great town in Maine with easy access to Portland which is a very cool, hipster city.
    edited June 2017
    Have you run the NPC on St Olaf, Macalester, Grinnell, Wooster, Earlham, Denison, Vassar?
    All of these will meet need for you (they use preferential packaging) but do they define need in a way that's affordable for your parents?
    Only apply to affordable colleges. That'll cut a bunch. Have 2 safeties and 3-5 matches. After that, apply to as many reaches as you wish and can afford.
    Do you qualify for application fee waivers on commonapp?
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,604 Senior Member
    do you all recommend I apply to more lower admit higher aid schools like Kenyon or Grinnell instead of Rhodes, Wooster, and St. Olaf, which seem to be the schools with issues on my list, or look elsewhere?

If I were you, I'd want at least one offer, as early in the process as possible, from a "full need" (or automatic merit) college with an affordable net price estimate. UChicago is too selective to count on for that.

In your original post, I count 4 match schools (Wooster, Rhodes, St. Olaf, Miami OH).
    Suggestion: Drop at least 1 these and substitute a "full need" school(s) that shows a lower net price estimate. Preferably, it'd be a school with an EA option or quick RD turn-around (if you can find one you like).

IMO 6-8 applications should be enough to carry you through the early round. Such as:
    UChicago ED
    2 other reaches such as Williams/Bowdoin/Davidson/Haverford (RD) or Georgetown/Boston College (EA)
    2 "full need" target/match schools such as Brandeis (EA) + Grinnell/Kenyon (RD)
    1 or 2 lower target/match schools with decent n-b/merit aid prospects (Wooster/Rhodes/StO/MiamiO)
    1 true admission & financial safety

Then reassess, if necessary, after those early round result(s).
    Just in case things aren't going well, you could add 1 or more schools with late RD deadlines, if you think you'd prefer them to your safety.

Thanks for the helpful responses,
    @Chembiodad Thats good to hear, XC may help on admission then, I'll get their coaches contact info.
    @MYOS1634 St. Olaf says about $8,000 which is a little much but okay. Wooster has a really rough calculator that says 12,000. Unfortunately I do not get fee waivers but I should have the money to apply to enough colleges.
    @tk21769 Dickinson is looking okay and they have an EA option. At $8,000 its a little much but the best I've seen for a match school. Wooster and Miami have EA so I might as well apply to them too. If UChicago doesn't work out I also have some schools with EDII.

Right now I'm thinking UChicago ED, Williams, Bowdoin, Davidson, Haverford, Colby, Wooster EA, St. Olaf, Dickinson EA, Miami EA, UofL

I'm loading up on reach schools because I love them and they have the best FA. I also have time for essays as I'm starting early. My matches are iffy on being able to afford them but I may get lucky and may be surprised as well. Worst case scenario I get paid lots of money to go to U of L.
    3 matches, two safeties, all affordable based on need (and merit would likelyvcome onto play to decrease costs there.)
    I think your list's good.
    Now's time to contact the coaches as they may be able to help with an 'early read'.
This discussion has been closed.