Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where do the casual, non-hipster, jock/outdoorsy kids go to college?

Replies to: Where do the casual, non-hipster, jock/outdoorsy kids go to college?

• citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 2,570 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    Congrats on all the great acceptances. My feeling is that if he's ambitious and wants to make money he will do well anywhere. Of the schools you mentioned I would pick Penn State if he can tolerate the size. We went to one of those accepted students days and what was the most impressive was their career services. I personally felt overwhelmed by it's size, but many people thrive there. I know a very successful grad fwiw. As for Binghampton, I have had several friends graduate from there, and all went on to get graduate degrees, and all are successful. I visited these friends many moons ago, and I did not like the campus, but it's a good school. Syracuse is very popular around here. Kids seem to love it. It's a nice alternative to Penn State if you want the school spirit and total college experience in a smaller package. Indiana has a great midwestern vibe and great town and campus. I personally think it's great if you go to the business or music schools. I don't think he will graduate with the same opportunities as he would at Penn State. I believe the starting salaries coming out of Penn State will be higher. So... my vote is Penn State.

And don't rule out USC. You just never know. My D got into a school I didn't think was possible. She got deferred from a couple of schools that were matches.
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    Congrats!! It's been fund to watch his journey!

An advantage that Penn St offers is there could be tech-related business/entrepreneurship opportunities that feed off the school's strong engineering program. Since his goal is financial success, that could be a good angle to play.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,734 Senior Member
    Thanks to all for these comments. Very helpful! I’m going to show this to my son and husband. I think we might have a decision in a day or two!
  • AmkngkAmkngk Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    @Lindagaf, I love Syracuse a ton, but the first step to your S being rich is to bank the price difference and attend a less-expensive school. If he was interested in one of SU’s top programs (Newhouse, Bandier, Drama, maybe Falk or Whitman) that would be one thing, but it sounds like that’s not the case.
    Good point, @Amkngk . He is fortunate that we can afford to pay for his education. Beyond that, he will have to get rich on his own, lol.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,064 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    Syracuse does not bring anything more than the others. Without a scholarship, the value just isn't there.
    Is UDenver out of contention?

Pros and Cons of IU v. PSU:
    IU: + scholarship, (did he get Honors College? Sorry, I don't remember - if he did, it's a +, if he didn't, it's a -), the vibe he likes, excellent match /- less of a professional reach away from the Midwest (but the university is well-known throughout the country)
    PSU: + opportunity to be in Paterno Fellows then Schreyer, better career services, opportunity to have a Smeal Business certificate to add to his degree, "school spirit" turned to 100 / - more expensive

Both will be good for outdoorsy kids.

I would discourage him from joining a fraternity (if he's the honors college/Paterno Fellows he'd be part of their "house" already, if not there are Living Learning Communities). If he's intent on doing so, read up everything about what the university does about hazing (not just the words, but how their policy is enforced and punished).
    Thanks @MYOS1634 .

Yes, no interest in DU, sadly.

He did not get the Honors college at IU.

What are your thoughts on Bing compared to IU and PSU?

We did talk about Paterno Fellows. I will remind him of that. I suspect wherever he ends up, he is frat-bound, and if he isn’t reading up on it, I certainly will be. I have already done a lot of my own research on frats. If we don’t like what we discover about a frat, we will not being paying for it.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,064 Senior Member
    Bing is very good academically but based on everything you've said, it sounded like the "least good" fit for him personally.
  • trackmbe3trackmbe3 Registered User Posts: 664 Member
    @Lindagaf A few follow up points—in case your son decides he wants to switch from economics to business you should check the ease of transferability to the Binghamton SOM, PSU Smeal and IU Kelley. What are the admissions requirements for transfer? I know SOM is the smallest of these three undergraduate business schools, which may make it more difficult to transfer given the lack of space and limited spots. You want to have a realistic backup major/plan. Also, if your son wants to join a social fraternity, he should look into how the fraternities differ at each of these campuses and also where they are located. Some allow rushing right away first semester freshman year but others require waiting until second semester. There are different fraternities that fit the different types of students. I can speak from personal experience with myself and my son that not all fraternities are wild and crazy party animal houses. Also, some universities like Michigan, Ohio State have stately mansion size homes in nice residential neighborhood within ten or fifteen minute walk from campus. They are great, safe, places to live and students live there during sophomore, jr and senior years. It’s a great way to socialize and cultivate friendships. In contrast, other universities have fraternity houses that are not big enough for students to live there —they are just meeting places for hanging out and social events. When we visited Binghamton we did not see any fraternities or sororities—are they within walking distance or in the city? Are students able to live in those houses? Do you need a car or bus to get there?
    Thanks @trackmbe3 and everyone. Great advice, as usual.
  • TigerleTigerle Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    edited March 17
    Another thread of yours that is so interesting to read, in all its surprising evolution. I very much enjoyed your legendary one about his "average excellent" sister, who is now happy at Bates. Isn't it fascinating how siblings can turn out so different that such different places like Penn State and Bates are right for them?
    @Tigerle , it’s fun that you remember my daughter’s story, which really was full of surprises. I won’t link it here, but if anyone wants to read it, it’s called “where do the cool kids go to college.”

I have to laugh though. My son did not apply to a single college I listed in the first post, except for Binghamton. It’s interesting to see how a kid’s ideas change and solidify.

And it’s also interesting to see how parents can become more open to places they don’t like at first. That’s a thinly disguised reference to my dislike of big universities, haha. I really tried to get my son interested in LACs, but they are definitely not for him. So I’ve learned to appreciate the advantages of big schools. Will it be Go Nittany Lions!, or Go Hoosiers!, or Go Bearcats!? Stay tuned...
  • bleedorangebabybleedorangebaby Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Any updates with Umich?
    U Mich won’t be happening, @bleedorangebaby . He couldn’t be bothered to follow up. I didn’t push the issue, because we’re both realistic. My son is a great kid, but he’s more like “just below average” excellent here on CC, if that makes sense. He has a pretty good idea of his abilities and possibilities.

He knows he’s not at all likely to get into USC, but at least he had fun doing their supplemental stuff:
    USC: What’s your favorite snack?
    My son: Tacos

USC: What’s your dream vacation?
    My son: Mexico City for tacos.

(Yes, we regularly discuss our future trip to Mexico City, when we plan to gorge on street tacos and margaritas. Lol!)

To update, his final list:
    USC
    U Michigan
    PSU
    IU
    Binghamton
    U Denver
    Syracuse

Accepted to five of them, but his final choices are:
    PSU
    IU
    Binghamton (In case you are wondering why he applied there, when it is clearly not like the others, he was very adamant that if he was going to apply to a SUNY, it was going to be the best SUNY. It’s in the running because he enjoyed his overnight there and a bunch of friends go and are happy. Did I mention that is also happens to be less than an hour away from his girlfriend’s college? Yes, that’s another reason that makes it hard to beat.)
  • bleedorangebabybleedorangebaby Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Congrats on all of his amazing acceptances! I too would consider myself “just below average” by CC standards, but I realized that there are still a ton of options for me. I just got accepted to Syracuse as well and may be attending depending on the results of my RD reaches at the end of the month. Good luck to your son!!