Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to balance numbers of schools vs casting a larger net for best outcome (admission/aid)?

Replies to: How to balance numbers of schools vs casting a larger net for best outcome (admission/aid)?

• theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    The other thing to keep in mind is that you need to find out where the CS dept is located, in the engineering school or arts and science school (Rutgers e.g.) , because it could be easier to get in to the A&S school and also if he doesn't like CS can switch but typically not to engineering.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,137 Senior Member
    edited July 16
    Miami OH or Cincy might be worth a look. Easier to get this than into state but unique programs and not considered "less than" as they appeal to different kids for different reasons.

Would he go to UMass even if not accepted to cs?

D had 16 apps, I don't think that's nuts and it gave her nice choices, including 3-4 early ones.
  • MomtoAndrew2018MomtoAndrew2018 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    edited July 16
    @OHMomof2

>> Would he go to UMass even if not accepted to cs? <<
    This will depend on whether or not we have other offers to compare to.

>> What school is Cincy?

At this point, our plan is to apply ED whenever possible and hopefully we don't have to apply to all of the rest during RD.

Edited: I meant to say we will apply EA whereever possible.
    @theloniusmonk Thank you! Yes, that is a good reminder!
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,414 Senior Member
    edited July 16
    You can do multiple EA or rolling admissions schools, but ED is restrictive. ED requires you to attend if accepted, so you can't be up for acceptance at more than one ED school per round (for schools that have ED1 and ED2).
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,984 Senior Member
    Does UMASS have ED?
    Oops I meant to say EA, not ED. We don't want to do any ED.
    @OHMomof2 Thank you! :)
    @Midwestmomofboys About ISU, I calculated S's Regent Index and it is a 278 (although this is using their unofficial calculator but I think he definitely has an index of > 245). The admission requirement says:

>> Applicants who achieve at least a 245 RAI score and who meet the minimum high school course requirements will automatically be offered admission.<<

Based on these information, I guess ISU is an unofficial "auto-admit" safety school for S then.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    @MomtoAndrew2018 Yippee -- there you go! I think the required index for University of Iowa is higher than ISU, but I think University of Iowa does have engineering as well, so you might try the calculator there as well.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,840 Senior Member
    Be sure to verify that any auto-admit schools include auto-admit to the desired majors, or allow declaring or changing into the majors with nothing more than baseline requirements (good academic standing, passing the prerequisites with C or higher grades). It is sometimes an issue for Texas students to be auto-admit to their public universities, but not be able to get into their desired majors, either as frosh, or later after enrolling.
    @ucbalumnus Thank you! That is a good reminder.

Now, I have questions on U Iowa and Iowa State. I know next to nothing about these two schools. How reputable are they especially for STEM fields? What about campus life? Student body? General vibe of the surrounding towns, etc.?
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    We visited University of Iowa for my kid who wound up at Wisconsin -- we were charmed by Iowa. The campus is quite pretty, on two sides of the Iowa river -- the health sciences and football stadium are on the (west?) side of the river bank and Arts and Letters, B School, and the town, are on the (east?) side of the river. Iowa City is a pretty good college town -- has all the usual -- pizza, coffee, music scene. University of Iowa is also famous for its MFA in creative writing, so there is a strong creative vibe in town. Lots of school spirit. I was impressed by how well run the admissions office was -- something we started to pay attention to at the flagships we visited, as right or wrong, I took good organization, effective administration in admissions as a sign that the rest of the university probably functioned pretty smoothly as well. Iowa made a very strong, positive impression, and was a good safety for my liberal arts kid who was admitted to Illinois and Minnesota -- for social sciences, not anything remotely STEMy. We are from the east coast originally, and live in Indiana, and know kids at Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, OSU. Pretty much all of those schools have smart, talented, grounded kids. Out here, in the midwest, the default expectation for many kids is to attend the in-state flagship because they are generally quite affordable instate, so many talented kids who could have been admitted elsewhere are at these schools.

edited July 18
    Do most students visit their reach schools before applying? It is easier if they are within a few hours of driving distance, but what if they are further away? How do you pick which ones to visit?

My original plan is to not visit reach schools unless S gets in, but I am torn.

We are in Massachusetts. S's reaches are: Case, Purdue, U Maryland, VT and Pitt. With the exception of UMD, all consider "level of demonstrated interest".

Flights are booked for a Purdue visit in early August.

Case is a high reach for S (I think). We will also need to fly in for a visit. Maybe we should not bother for such a low chance?

About VT and Pitts - I think S has a shot at both. I am leaning towards booking those flights for these two. Are we overdoing it?