Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Just Got Off Brown's Waitlist! Ross vs Brown?

13»

Replies to: Just Got Off Brown's Waitlist! Ross vs Brown?

• Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    @alexandre
    I don't agree with you that Michigan is extremely diverse. I think Michigan is one of the very least diverse top universities. I did not check, but would guess that it has a higher percentage of white students than any other top 30 university in USNews. In my opinion, meeting people from other ethnicities, other states and other countries is an important part of the college experience. You lose a lot of that at Michigan. Maybe you haven't visited in a few years, but the percentage of African Americans, for example, has been steadily declining.

Let's compare Michigan Brown
    Asian : 12.6% 15.1%
    Black or African American: 4.1 7.6
    Hispanic/Latino: 4.3 12.9
    Multi Race: 3.7 7.1
    Native American/Hawaiian: 0.2 0.7

Total 24.9% 43.4%

• monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,938 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    re#29: " I am a Cornell alum, and I have never seen or heard of an "Ivy League alumni network""

Sorry @lAlexandre but we don't share the secret handshake with graduate students. The code is handed out to the undergrads at graduation. You thought those were diplomas....

As for OP, you are so enamored with your idea of a particular industry that you would let this drive your entire decision making process. But you have not yet taken so much as a single relevant class, have no idea how well you will do wherever you land, whether you will stand out enough there to even get an interview at these places, whether your personality happens to ideally fit a particular group there, who wants you...

College is for expanding one's horizons. If your chosen school is any good, after first semester you could take a psychology (or whatever) course, get totally turned on by the subject and decide to change your goals altogether. Happens all the time. Or you could go through the whole process and not get an offer from the places you most aspire to. And wind up at an accounting firm.

Don't hitch your wagon to something so speculative. think about where you would rather be, which environment you will most likely grow, as a student and as a person. which gives you the most flexibility, as your interests may evolve. Which offers the best environment for you extracurricularly.. What kind of people are there, and do you have a lot in common with them. Etc.

For one thing, you should know by now whether you want an undergraduate business school education, or an infinitely tailorable liberal arts school education. Start there. What do you want to study, during your precious, irreplaceable undergraduate years? What do you want to learn? Currently-desired industry aside.

I know which I would pick. But I'm not you.
  • monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,938 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    re #14: "Firstly, you would get a better and more well-rounded undergrad education at Brown. "

How is one assured of receiving a more well-rounded education at a school with almost no distribution requirements (Brown), vs. one that has distribution requirements? It seems entirely up to the student. That is actually Brown's main marketing point !!

It's human nature to stay within ones comfort zone, and Brown actually caters to that. There are few places where one's education can be less well-rounded.

IMO one is more assured of a well-rounded education at a program that has distribution requirements.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,693 Senior Member
    monydad, I knew something was amiss when I received my "diploma"! ;) But it should be noted that while Ross obviously offers a business education, its curriculum is designed to encourage students to seek out a liberal arts approach. Close to half Ross students pursue dual degrees or minors from other colleges within the university.

Much2learn, we will have to disagree on the meaning of diversity on campus.
This discussion has been closed.