Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Looking for out-of-state safety schools

AmbrosiusAmbrosius Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
Hello everyone!

I'm an upcoming senior trying to find some out-of-state safety schools to apply to because I get nauseous thinking about staying in Florida, to put it bluntly.

Here are my stats:

Academics:

- 3rd in my class of 550
- 4.0 uw GPA, 4.5 w
- AP Classes
--- AP Human Geography: 5
--- AP World History: 5
--- AP Seminar: 4
--- AP Music Theory: 2 (we don't talk about this)
--- AP Lang: 5
--- AP Calc AB: 2 (we REALLY don't talk about this; getting it rescored, but I'm taking BC next year so who cares)
--- AP Research: 4
--- APUSH: 5
- SAT: 1380 (740 English, 640 Math, 6/6/6 on Essay; taking it again in October)
- ACT: N/A
- SAT IIs: Taking Bio E, Lit, and U. S. History in November

Extracurriculars:

- Band all 4 years---I play bassoon and mellophone (no leadership position though, which sucks. I'm not bitter, it's fine, I'm fine)
- Captain of Brain Bowl Team
- President of school chapter of English Honor Society
- Treasurer of school Mu Alpha Theta chapter
- Member of Rho Kappa (will probably get a leadership position next year)
- Member of National Honor Society (no chance of leadership here, which also sucks)
- Very involved in Latin Club, and just Latin in general (I've taken it all 3 years so far, taking AP in the fall)
- Volunteer activities with band (teaching middle-schoolers how to play musical instruments)
- Various church activities
- Starting a book club and a lit journal at school this upcoming year

Awards:

- Several regional- and state-level awards in Latin (Florida Junior Classical League)
- Magna cum laude, National Latin Exam (Freshman and Junior years)
- Brain Bowl team was 2nd place overall this year
- Various school awards (9th grade English award, 10th grade Social Studies award, et al.)
- Various church awards (was involved in a church program called Lads to Leaders, but no so much anymore)
- Solo and Ensemble Festival for band (superiors since 9th grade)
- Band has won Otto Kraushaar Award for the three years I've been in band so far (not really that important for me specifically, but I thought I'd mention it)
- Applying for YoungArts and Scholastic Arts in the fall (writing)
- There might be some other minor ones that I can't think of right now

Personal Info:

- Race: White
- State: Florida
- Income: ~$90,000
- Financial Aid: absolutely (especially because my family has a lot of medical expenses, it's complicated)
- Hooks: no

My top choice right now is Georgetown, which is definitely a reach. I'm also applying to Hamilton, Swarthmore, Haverford, Bowdoin, Colby, Boston College (maybe), American University, GW, UF, FSU, and maybe Rollins. I know quite a few of those are reaches as well.

I'm looking to major in either poli sci or English and then go into law school. The goal is to pursue a career in politics, but I know my extracurriculars don't seem to indicate that at the moment.

Any help you could give in finding some great out-of-state safeties is much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies to: Looking for out-of-state safety schools

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    Nice GPA and class standing . .

Denison, Trinity and Dickinson, or overlaps of these schools, might be some safer admits to consider. Otherwise, even your current group of mostly highly selective colleges should, with a little luck, offer you some really nice choices in the spring.
  • sheepskin00sheepskin00 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I'd say you're pretty much a lock at GW and American. If you want to be in the greater DC area, have you considered U of Maryland? It's a decent state school and not too far from DC (esp if you have a car).
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Make sure you check the NPC of the schools before applying. OOS public usually have much higher costs than in state. Also, most OOS public colleges do not meet your financial need.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    Since by definition a safety needs to be guaranteed affordable it will be difficult to know what might be a safety for you without knowing what you can contribute to your education. As mentioned by @billcsho OOS is usually significantly more expensive than an instate public university and unless you are able to fully fund your education very few, if any, could be considered safeties. Given what you wish to pursue most universities outside of the top hundred or so might be considered academic safeties. That does you no good if they are not affordable.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2006094-2017-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships.html may give you some ideas for affordable safeties. If you can get a 32 ACT or 1450 SAT, Howard in DC (a ringside seat for the political circus) offers a full ride for that.
  • AmbrosiusAmbrosius Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Thanks, @merc81! I will take those into consideration.
    @sheepskin00, I have looked into U of Maryland, but I don't have a car, which is rough.
    Yes, @billcsho, I have heard that about OOS public colleges. I was going to look into Berkeley (if I raised my SAT scores, of course) but tuition is insane. I'd rather not go *that* far into debt. Thanks.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,627 Senior Member
    You can only borrow ~$5500/year, so you can't go far into debt at all. What's your family's EFC? Can they pay anything?
  • woogzmamawoogzmama Registered User Posts: 3,850 Senior Member
    You might get a decent merit package from Temple. If you want a smaller college, look at Willamette: they're generous with merit aid, and are across the street from the Oregon Statehouse, offering good internship opportunities.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,516 Senior Member
    Denison is a great match for you.
    Eckerd in Florida is excellent for writing.
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 3,072 Senior Member
    Do you qualify for Bright Futures? You may not love Florida but if you get money to stay in state you need to consider that. Lots of schools have options that might make it more appealing like study abroad or Washington semesters that will give you some more experiences you want. There are even some exchanges with other schools in the US for semesters. Florida is big state and has some big schools where you will meet all types of people. It won't be a repeat of HS.
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to check out some of these schools and look at the NPCs to see if I can afford them. And @scmom12, I'm definitely going for Bright Futures. :)
This discussion has been closed.