Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges in Portland, Oregon?

2»

Replies to: Colleges in Portland, Oregon?

• englibsci18englibsci18 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate all of your replies. Many thanks especially to @Studious99 for informing me on Concordia and @Corbett regarding Macalester. These were not schools I had considered yet. Thanks also to @tk21769 for running all of those numbers! It looks like Reed, PSU and UP could be good fits for me.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,530 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    Concordia Portland is religious and is meant for Christians who want to grow in their faith.
    PSU is primarily commuter and designed to help adult students complete their degree ( the average age is 27 I think).
    UPortland, U Puget Sound, are traditional, residential universities. Reed and L&C have a more alternative vibe.
    Based on what you're looking for, seconding Macalester .
  • MintwoodMintwood Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    There are massive differences in selectivity, atmosphere etc when it comes to Concordia, PSU, Reed and UP and little to no overlap in applicants. I think you need to do some more research
  • TempeMomTempeMom Registered User Posts: 2,975 Senior Member
    Reed is pretty selective and nationally ranked. Intellectual. And very expensive. And, at least at one time, kind of counterculture-ish in a wealthy smart kids way--that may have changed as I heard they are trying to expand and get more diverse. .
    Portland State is pretty. Not hard to get into. And at least when I was there mostly (but not totally) a school for fairly local kids.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    Reed is pretty selective and nationally ranked.
    Reed actually has a low ranking in the most popular college ranking (USN&WR). However, this is because Reed is opposed to the USN&WR ranking system, and refuses to cooperate and supply the data that are needed for the ranking system. So USN&WR fills in the blanks with very conservative estimates, which kill Reed's score.

Reed was ranked as high as the top 10 for National LACs by USN&WR before they stopped playing ball. https://www.reed.edu/apply/college-rankings.html
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,981 Super Moderator
    It's not significant, but Reed is 4.6 mi from downtown, L&C is 5.6 mi from downtown.
  • Studious99Studious99 Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    Traffic, however, is horrible, so those 5 miles could take up to 25-30 minutes! @vonlost
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,530 Senior Member
    ^ public transportation and college shuttles ;)
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    My impression is that Reedies gravitate towards the Hawthorne District, which is also in SE Portland, and therefore closer and easier to get to than downtown. Wikipedia describes it like this:
    The area has numerous retail stores, including clothing shops, restaurants, bars, brewpubs and microbreweries. Hawthorne district is known for its liberal residents. The district has been known for having various social groups, such as Generation X, hippies, and more recently, hipsters.
    According to Google maps, Hawthorne & Chavez (approximate center of district) is 18 minutes by bus or 19 minutes by bike from Reed.
This discussion has been closed.