right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a transfer school?

TrucksRuleTrucksRule 22 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
I'm a 19 year old male looking into getting into an engineering major to design vehicles and their components. I'm from New York State (not the city) and I would like to go somewhere new. I've been all over the state of New York. I'm currently enrolled in a local community college. I didn't do so well my first year because I had a lot going on and couldn't focus. I failed 2 classes my first semester and retook them and passed the next. I failed one class my second semester. I'm considering taking a year off to work, buy a new car, and clear my mind. I wanted to go to California but, I've realized it's too far. My aunt lives in Philadelphia, PA and she said she'd help me any time I need it. I didn't use that resource my first year and I think she could've really helped me. I will utilize that resource in my next year. I'm trying to get into a really good school. I'd like to be able to meet people who can help me in a career later on. I need to be able to take my car with me so I can go see nearby relatives and go home occasionally. I also need on-campus housing for all years. Someone told me that Carnegie Mellon University has a very good engineering program. I've been thinking about working hard and trying to get into that program as a transfer. I'd like to look at other schools as well so I can make a decision. I'm aiming for highly competitive schools so it increases my chances of getting accepted into one that's less competitive. I don't have to worry about paying for it because I'm in a program that helps pay for my education due to disability. My adviser said that if I retake the one failed class, that colleges would overlook the fact that I originally failed and just see my improvement. Is this true? What suggestions for a good transfer school do you have?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Does anyone have any good suggestions for a transfer school?

• JustGraduateJustGraduate 658 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2017
    What are your stats - HS GPA, CC GPA, and SAT/ACT score? That's primarily what universities will look at for transfer admission. Also are you looking for a ME degree or something more specific to design or automobiles?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at when you say
    " I'm aiming for highly competitive schools so it increases my chances of getting accepted into one that's less competitive."

Also, on campus housing until graduation may be a challenge at many schools. Is there any way your funding will pay for off campus housing - that will open up more options for you.
    edited July 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32858 replies3603 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,461 Super Moderator
    What are your stats - HS GPA, CC GPA, and SAT/ACT score? That's primarily what universities will look at for transfer admission
    This isn't correct. The longer a student has been out of HS the less weight that info is given. With over a year of CC on your record that will take priority over your HS info.

OP, how much can your family afford? You will be full pay at an OOS university. Based on your college grades you have no chance at CMU. You need to be more realistic or turn things around dramatically to have any shot at a competitive school.
    · Reply · Share
  • TrucksRuleTrucksRule 22 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    As I have said. It's completely covered by a program I'm in.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32858 replies3603 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,461 Super Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Have you specifically asked your aunt if she's willing to pay $60k+/year? Many adults are unaware of the current high price of education.
    edited August 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    @Erin's Dad The aunt is not funding it.

OP are you getting vocational rehab funds? These funds are administered by state block grants, so make sure you are allowed to cross state lines with them before you apply too broadly. (Rules vary by state, so you need to make sure.)

· Reply · Share
  • TrucksRuleTrucksRule 22 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    edited August 2017
    Yeah. I've already talked with them about it. It doesn't matter where I go. I'd rather go somewhere new than right up the street where I've been 1,000 times.
    edited August 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate 658 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    What is your CC GPA? In the end that will be a large part of how high you can aim with the transfer. If you are transferring after only 1 year of CC (take a year off to work) some schools will look at HS stats as well, especially if your CC grades are uneven. In general, it will be difficult to transfer into a mid-range 4 year if you're under 3.0 and top tiers will need as close to 4.0 as your can get. Under 3.0 will require more looking but there will be options, maybe not for engineering though. Under 2.0 is probably no go.
    · Reply · Share
    If you're looking for work in the auto industry, consider a CC or technical college in MI, northern OH or IN that specializes in that industry. Have been away from there for a while so don't know what schools are good now but they're definitely out there. You'd be surprised at what a 2 year technical degree will get you in industry jobs to get your foot in the door. Then with a little experience you'll have a better idea of what you want to specialize in and go back for a 4 year degree in that.
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Kettering University in Flint, MI has traditional ties to the automotive industry, but is far from your aunt.

I'm not familiar enough with the schools near Philadelphia to make specific recommendations, but you can use the College Board Big Future site to search for engineering schools within X miles of a given zip code.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity