Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Which schools are a good fit for me?!?!

CThomson18CThomson18 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Ethnicity: Caucasian (white)
Income bracket: >100k

Residence: AZ
High school: College preparatory (private/catholic) w/ 1,300 kids

GPA: 3.8 UW/4.1 W (6 AP's/12 Honors)
ACT: 32
SAT I: N/A
SAT II: N/A
Class Rank: N/A (school doesn't do it)

Awards/Honors:
- 2nd Place in the 2015 Arizona Science and Engineering Fair (Plant Sciences)
- Presidential Volunteer Service Award (Bronze)
- Congressional Award (Silver)
- National Honor Society
- Spanish Honor Society

Activities:
- Baseball (9-12)
- Football (9-10)
- Honor Choir (9-10)
- Co-President of the Young Republicans Club
- Vice-President of the Spanish Honor Society
- Founder/President of my high school's DECA chapter
- Volunteer at Boys and Girls Club (250 hours)
- Volunteer at Loyola Project (80 hours)
- Volunteer at Promise AZ (40 hours)

Essay: EXTREMELY STRONG

Recommendation letters: Should be good... I picked two teachers who I like and know me well!

Intended Major:
Business (Management/Finance)

***I think I am going to apply ED to UNC-Chapel Hill, and if I am not accepted, I will most likely apply RD to the University of Arizona, Villanova, Creighton, and maybe a few others!

Replies to: Which schools are a good fit for me?!?!

• TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    Congrats on your hard work and success! It seems like you have a good start on your list. One of mine seriously considered UNC. Obviously a great school, and we thought it had the best integration of campus and a fun off-campus area (we've seen lots of schools). Note that it is EA, not ED. Also, it does not notify EA applicants until mid-January (most notify earlier), which is after most ED deadlines, so an applicant can't apply to another school ED, unless they are willing to go there over UNC. This affected the decision-making for my kid.

You would be a competitive applicant certainly, just understand it is very competitive for OOS students, because of the large number of OOS applicants, and the fact that the state limits OOS enrollment to 16 or 17%.

By chance, I was just in Omaha and saw the Creighton campus. It is conveniently located near a fun Omaha downtown.

A couple of other schools I might suggest: Santa Clara University and University of Washington. Santa Clara is also a Catholic school. Weather is as good as it gets. It has a strong business school and is located right in Silicon Valley, so internship opportunities are unmatched (please treat women better than most Silicon Valley execs). Washington has a beautiful campus just a couple of light rail stops from downtown Seattle. Maybe also University of Wisconsin in Madison. The campus and town are also pretty well integrated. The campus is on a beautiful lake. It is sprawling and can be bitter cold though. All of these schools are very competitive but less so than UNC. I think all have EA admissions.

Good luck!
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    I should add that OOS students often do not receive merit aid from state schools. Both UWs are expensive for OOS students. Santa Clara is private and expensive. It gives aid but you would probably want to check the Net Price Calculator to see what you would expect to pay. It's important that you end up with choices that are desirable and affordable. Talk to your family about what they will be paying. Some schools give a lot of merit aid. Denison in Ohio is one. It's also a terrific school. Here's a chart for Miami of Ohio merit aid. Note that Miami super-scores ACT for admission AND merit aid. If you have a 33 ACT super-score, you would be on the top line, so would possibly receive a half to full scholarship. Again, good luck.

http://miamioh.edu/admission/merit-grid/
This discussion has been closed.