Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I go to pennsylvania?

Cjesusinme1Cjesusinme1 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
I am a black male and I was thinking of applying to colleges in pennsylvania. I have heard that pennsylvania is a very racist place. I am scared of not fitting in because the colleges athere are not diverse. I don't want to be descriminated against because of my color and I don't want people to think of me as dangerous. Also I am scared if the college professors are going to be bad towards me interms of grades. Am I over thinking things or should I reconside my college choice? Thank you.

Replies to: Should I go to pennsylvania?

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,466 Senior Member
    You are overthinking. College's are typically liberal and accepting places.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,327 Senior Member
    Pennsylvania is a very big state. It is true that a large majority of colleges there will have student populations that are mostly white, so if that would make you feel uncomfortable then maybe don't apply to those schools. But there's a big difference between Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and rural small-town PA. Philly was 44.2% black in 2016 and Pittsburgh 26.1% black in 2010 (couldn't find the more recent census data from a cursory search, not sure why).

Even at the main campus of Penn State, which is in the middle of nowhere, I had a black roommate freshman year, and she had a close group of friends, almost all of whom were also black. There are black students here, but they might not be as numerous as you'd like. Investigate each school individually.

I don't think professors almost anywhere will treat you differently in terms of grades. That would be very serious and investigated thoroughly by the schools if it happened.
  • sheepskin00sheepskin00 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Figure out which colleges in PA appeal to you academically and then contact their African-American student groups to ask how the black students there feel about their schools. No school is going to say "Hey, we're racist here." It's the sort of thing you can find out only by asking people who know the schools well. If the college doesn't have such a group, it might not be a good prospect for you.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    It depends where. There's schools that aren't "racist", but students don't come together:

I attended La Salle (Philly) last year. I'm from New Jersey, which is quite intregated. I felt like Philly & La Salle were segregated. Many popular clubs were race-inclusive, so that added to the problem.
  • Cjesusinme1Cjesusinme1 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I don't mind being with any race. I am thinking of going to Ursinus or Juniata. I don't want the people to think that I am a threat because of the stigma. That is my only concern.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    The 2 schools you mention I thin lget a lot of NJ applicants. I don't think you'd have an issue.
  • callogan44callogan44 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    First of all, very few, if any, colleges in the US are going to have a significant number of students/faculty who are racist against African Americans. Students and faculty at colleges tend to be smart, and smart people tend to not be racist. Like another poster said, college campuses tend to be politically liberal places.

Second of all, generalizations about such a large place are rarely, if ever, accurate. Its like when people say "the South" is racist. You can't just take an entire state or region and label it as one thing. Pennsylvania has over 12 million people (yes, I did my research for this). How can you brand it as being a racist place when, given how large it is both in terms of population and in terms of size, there are clearly tons and tons of people who aren't racist, and tons of areas where racism isn't a big problem. Some places in Pennsylvania may have a population of people that tends to be less accepting of racial minorities than they should be. But that can probably be said of just about any state. There will always be a few people who are like that, that's just how it is, but I can assure you that racists are by no means in the majority in the state of Pennsylvania, and certainly not at any Pennsylvania colleges. In fact, the state of Pennsylvania is nearly 20 percent minorities.

Both colleges you mentioned have sizable minority populations. If your only concern is "stigma" you'll be fine... racism against blacks is definitely not a popular sentiment on college campuses right now. I'd be much much more concerned about the academic qualities of the school than I would be about a gross generalization about a huge state made by someone you know who has probably never even been there.
    edited August 14
    is there a case where white teachers don't write recommendation letters to black students even if they are smart students?
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,580 Senior Member
    Please reread that paragraph.
    sorry....I thoght you said they are. Thanks.