Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Northeast/Midwest College Search

awsmyyyawsmyyy Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
edited September 6 in College Search & Selection
I'm currently a high school senior looking at colleges to apply to. My current areas of interest are biology and history, and I'm interested in careers in international relations or veterinary science (very different, I know :) ). My highest SAT score is 1540 and I have taken many AP classes (10 by the time high school is over), though my extracurriculars are not notable and not continuous (working at local library, mock trial, playing rec sports, playing piano, volunteering as badminton coach).

Some of the characteristics I am looking for in a school are:
• medium to large-sized (4,000 to 10,000 students)
• strong in both the arts and sciences
• suburban, near, or in a big city
• in Northeast (VA is as south as I would like to go) or Midwest
• non-competitive, collaborative vibe

Some of the schools I am interested in are:
• Tufts
• Northeastern
• Brown
• Columbia
• University of Rochester
• UChicago
• Georgetown
• College of William and Mary
• Wesleyan

If anyone has any comments about the colleges I'm looking at or have recommendations for any other colleges to look at, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Replies to: Northeast/Midwest College Search

• billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,695 Senior Member
    How about UMich?
  • awsmyyyawsmyyy Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @billcsho UMich is great at everything, but I'm worried that the school is a bit too big and too expensive (I'm out-of-state so paying tuition at a huge public like UMich would be really expensive for me). Thanks for the input though!
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,695 Senior Member
    Try their NPC. It may be cheaper than some school's on your list. In addition, they have a residential college that would give you a smaller school feel.
  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    Look at Case Western in Cleveland. You may qualify for some merit aid there which would bring the cost down. Very strong sciences and it's in a cool area of Cleveland called University Circle with Severance Hall on campus (home of the Cleveland Orchestra), both the art museum and the modern art museum are located adjacent to campus as well as the botanical gardens. The Cleveland Institute of Music shares the campus. What specifically are you looking for when you say strong in "the arts"? Do you have a target for costs?
    @cellomom2 In terms of the arts, I'm looking for strong humanities and social sciences. For costs, I'm looking for a college that meets either 100% of demonstrated financial need or is very generous with financial aid. Thank you, I'll look into Case Western!
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,432 Super Moderator
    edited September 6
    A key component of vet admissions is several hundred hours of veterinary and animal handling experience, preferably with both small (dogs and cats) and large (cows, horses, pigs, etc.) animals. I strongly recommend considering Penn, which has an excellent vet school and hospital on campus.

Note that some vet schools require specialized courses like animal nutrition, mammalian anatomy and physiology, animal science, and zoology for admission -- not every college offers these classes. Check the requirements for your state's vet school (or the vet school with which your state has an agreement).

@warblersrule UPenn or Penn State? And thanks for the advice :)
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    I would add Cornell as it is strong in both of your areas of interest.
  • Molson07Molson07 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Cornell seems to fit your criteria
  • harvard_and_berkeleyharvard_and_berkeley Registered User Posts: 1,086 Senior Member
    Cornell is not suburban/near or in a big city.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,210 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    You might want to look into the University of Richmond.

If you are willing to go a bit larger (still under 15,000) WashU, Villanova, and BC seem to fit your other criteria.

Perhaps Fordham would be a nice a safety (you would likely get some merit aid).
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    @awsmyyy: You say that you are out of state for Michigan, but unless I missed it I don't see what state you are in. In order to save us looking through your older posts, can you remind us what state you are in, what your unweighted GPA is, and how much you can afford?

I am sympathetic with the comment that while U Mich out of state might be a bit expensive, it is not clear that it is as expensive as many of the schools on your list. This might depend upon OPs ability to get financial aid at the various schools.

I also have a question for @warblersrule: How much is admission to veterinary school based on GPA and test scores, and how much is it dependent on the type of experience that you have described in post #6? If someone had let's say only an unweighted 3.5 from a very good undergraduate school, but had huge amounts of the experience that you are describing plus a lot of specialized animal science courses, would the experience overcome the so-so GPA and get them into veterinary school? If so this might suggest that OP would be best off to decide between international relations versus veterinary school by the time that they are half way through university. I do understand that there is still time for OP to try a bit of both at the university level before making a decision.

And one more comment for OP: If you want to keep open the possibility of veterinary school, then you should try to keep a lot of your college funds "in the bank" through your undergraduate years. Veterinary school is very expensive and if you pay for all of it with loans then you won't make enough as a veterinarian to pay them off. Thus even if you can afford to be full pay at $65,000 or more per year, that doesn't mean that you actually should for undergrad.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,543 Senior Member
    What is you unweighted GPA?
    @intparent @DadTwoGirls My unweighted GPA is a 4.0 and I live in NJ. Moneywise, I am looking to pay somewhere in the $20,000s.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    "I am looking to pay somewhere in the $20,000s."

Paying might be more of an issue than getting accepted. Have you run the NPCs on the schools on your list and do the results fit this goal? I will admit that this question might largely come down to: Will you qualify for sufficient financial aid to reach this price?