Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2018 US News Best Colleges rankings have been released

Replies to: 2018 US News Best Colleges rankings have been released

• pupflierpupflier Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Lol. UChicago is like the uppity kid that crashes the party and walks away with the pretty girl much to the chagrin of all the jocks:-) Why can't they just know their place and stick to being 15 or 20 in the rankings. They're so bad. It is just not right that they get to be #3 in the USNews ranking. It is so unfair!!
  • ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    the establishment is threatened ...
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,749 Senior Member
    "Perhaps Cal is finally paying the price for hugely overcrowded classes, inability to graduate in four years, impossible housing for undergrads, and an intimidating and despotic ultra left culture."

Or maybe USC and UCLA have better weather, better football and cuter cheerleaders?
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,095 Senior Member
    The drug of choice for top schools that are not HYPSM is ED. Penn was the pioneer on this decades ago. Duke, Dartmouth, NW, Brown, JHU, Vandy, Emory also are heavy ED users. It improves your ranking numbers in so many ways (including admit rate).

Most importantly, ED helps you lock in better qualified/resourced students. That raises your test scores. And it also raises your frosh retention rates (99% at Chicago!) and your 6 year grad rates (94% at Chicago!), which are big components of the USNWR formula. Since high stat well resourced kids tend to stay and graduate in larger numbers than weaker enrollees.

This is why ED, as toxic as it is, will never go away.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 1,082 Senior Member
    Or maybe USC and UCLA have better weather, better football and cuter cheerleaders?

I'll buy that. :))
  • anxiousenior1anxiousenior1 Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    @Cariño I don't know why you're trying to show me the rankings; they are irrelevant. I never said that UChicago is not or should not be highly ranked; all I'm saying is that they saw the need to aggressively market themselves to compete with their peer institutions, and that's why they have inundated possible applicants with mail.
  • CariñoCariño Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    @anxiousenior1
    My point is that UChicago is and has been an amazing school for many many years academically, but...they have improved the student life exponentially just recently (the best housing system in the US, only comparable to Yale's). The only way they have to show that and attract the attention of top students is through marketing. My daughter was a top student that had an Ivy on her horizon. That was obvious according to her performance over 12 years of school. We never thought of UChicago as an option. The information she got from them really attracted our attention. From the first visit two years ago she fell in love with that place, and even after she got into 7 other amazing schools (3 Ivies), she decided on U of C. According to the type of kids from her school (a top private prep school) who are attending (all of them absolutely remarkable in different ways), I truly believe that the marketing has made a difference on the quality of the group of students who are attending this fall.
  • ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    In all seriousness. With world university rankings placing UChicago in top 5-6 in the US (even without engineering in a rankings that are STEM biased, which is why Cal Tech and MIT lead in those) and USNWR yet again placing it in third, it's time for even the doubters, critics and haters to wake up and smell the Humus.
  • anxiousenior1anxiousenior1 Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    @Cariño
    That's great for your daughter! But I don't understand how you can criticize the statement that the average high school applicant is not really aware of UChicago when you yourself and your daughter never really saw UChicago as an option two years ago. This is exactly the reason that they had to up the marketing game: because they were not gaining ground against their peers who have their own reputation set in stone.
  • f2000saf2000sa Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    all ivies do not give merit aid. UChicago can, and is very generous for top students.
  • CariñoCariño Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    @anxiousenior1....Fine...you win....but my point is that this highly criticized marketing strategy is legit, and works!
  • f2000saf2000sa Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    edited September 12
    I think Stanford should deserve to be in top three.
  • sbballersbballer Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    personally... I would love to see Chicago go higher to 1 or 2.. ...

but USNWR will change the metrics to game the results they want to see (some variation of HYP). USNWR games the system just as much as Chicago.. or HYP or just about any college out there (except for MIT and Caltech imo).

let's not kid ourselves.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,654 Senior Member
    Some people see a conspiracy in everything.