Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Everything about college

DevanhDevanh Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
So I'm in high school and I'm in my senior year and I'm looking at courses to take for college and I don't know really anything about college and google hasn't helped me that much to be honest.

I need to know these questions below.

1. What's the difference between a Major and a minor?

2. How many classes I can major in ( and how I should do it ) ?

3. What courses are required?

Thank you so much to anyone who replies!

Replies to: Everything about college

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,328 Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Go to the website of a college you are interested in. The information is all there.
  • DevanhDevanh Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you so much for your help. I was looking at becoming a profiler for the FBI and one of the classes I want to major in is Forensic Science but i also want to major in something else related to that field such as psychology or criminal justice.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,568 Super Moderator
    Becoming a profiler for the FBI (job title is behavioral analyst) is a difficult journey, and you will need some law enforcement and/or research experience in the area. Mary Ellen Toole, a senior behavioral analyst for the FBI, writes about the requirements on her page:
    At this time, in order to work as an FBI Profiler in the Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU), you have to be an FBI Agent. This means you go through the FBI Academy, which is approximately 4 months long. This training is very rigorous and involves classroom training in courses that include psychology, interviewing, and legal issues. You will also be trained in firearms and will go through a challenging physical fitness program.

...Developing experience as an investigator is critical before applying to the BAU. Most profilers working in the BAU have between seven and fifteen years of investigative experience before transferring to the BAU.

The FBI requires a four-year college degree in any major in order to apply for the Agent position. You will want to choose a degree that YOU like, so you will complete your education. Agents in the BAU have had a variety of degrees from Psychology, to Political Science, to Math to Criminal Justice. Some of the BAU profilers have Advanced College Degrees and some do not. At this point, having an advanced degree to apply to the BAU is not required for all job openings. However, that could change, and you will want to review the most current information on www.fbi.gov

And the FBI's website has an interview with some members of the BAU, in which they say this:
    Halpern: Before an agent even enters the BAU, they’ve already had between seven to 10 years experience as an FBI agent.

Hilts:About half the agents in my squad are former police officers, so in addition to our FBI experience, we have state or local law enforcement investigative experience, and that’s what we find is extremely beneficial to our work here is having the practical investigative, hands-on investigative experience as FBI agents and/or as state and local police officers in conducting the investigation.

Halpern: Even with experience in local law enforcement and the FBI, BAU agents must still go through additional training, which can last up to two years.

So first you have to get into the FBI as an agent. Although you can major in anything, the FBI definitely has a need and preference for certain majors, which you can see by checking out the website.
    While the FBI encourages applicants from all backgrounds to become Special Agents, we are currently looking for Special Agent applicants with skills in the following areas:

Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
    Foreign Languages
    Law
    Emergency Medicine
    Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
    Attorneys
    Engineers
    Detectives
    Military (specifically Special Forces, Explosives, WMD and Intelligence Experts)
    Scientists (lab experience)
    Foreign Language(s) speakers
    Pilots (helicopter, fixed-wing)

Generally speaking, if you do psychology or criminal justice you will need a graduate degree and/or some years of law enforcement experience to be a competitive candidate. Or you need to have a special skill in one of the other areas, like military experience, a law degree, or a critical foreign language.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,664 Senior Member
    Look up John Jay College of Criminal Justice in NYC
  • SoofDadSoofDad Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    edited September 15
    deleted
  • SoofDadSoofDad Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    Also, to be an FBI employee, you will first be subjected to an extensive background investigation (which can take almost a year) and you will have to pass a polygraph test.