Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

13»

Replies to: Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,242 Senior Member
    Don't let them do that anymore. It's confusing for people who are trying to help you.
  • Hassan ZaidiHassan Zaidi Registered User Posts: 32 New Member
    Yeah I won't because the person who needed help to choose was my cousin and he wanted to know what he had to do to become a doctor
  • inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    For more of an academic match or safety than Georgetown, also look at American University in D.C....good international relations. I know nothing about their financial aid, however.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,625 Senior Member
    A few things:

Regarding letting someone else use your account: They should get their own account. Accounts are easy to get and free. Asking "what he had to do to become a doctor" is a very reasonable question for someone to ask on their own account.

Regarding getting into "good schools" with a 3.74 GPA and no ECs: This depends upon what you mean by "good schools". I said: "With a 3.74 unweighted GPA, and 1520 SAT you are going to get into very good universities". Someone else said: "Good grades, test scores, letters of recommendation and essays trump ECs any day". A third person said: "Not. Not for top 25 private colleges".

At the risk of saying the obvious: We are all correct. There are hundreds of very good universities in the US. No ECs and a 3.74 GPA will not get you into the top 25 most selective universities in the US (which require great grades and great test scores and great ECs and more...). It might or might not get you into some of the top 50. It might or might not get you into the #1 in-state public school in MD. However, it will get you into many schools in the top 200 and probably in the top 100. You should have a good shot at one or more of the top 4 or 5 public schools in MD (which ones I don't know).

Regarding the price of university: If your parents make 35K per year (or even if they make 100K per year), money will be an issue. If I were you I would apply to the top 4 or 5 in-state schools in MD, and fill out the required financial aid forms. I think that you have a good chance to get a good deal from one or more of them which includes need based financial aid and which should make university affordable with some but not too much debt.

I don't understand the possible move to Troy MI if your parents are staying in MD. I think that it is safer for you to graduate high school in MD if your parents are in MD so that there is no question that you are in-state.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,535 Senior Member
    Maybe the whole Troy deal is off. But OP needs an open mind, in order to find and process what *is* available for him. And affordable.

And to get cooperation.

There's a lot of variation in MD public hs, from average to some of the best in the country, with go-getter kids. That will matter in his competition for a slot at College Park, GW, American or many others at that level. We don't know grades, and adcoms at schools like those will be looking for activities that show not only the willingness to engage with peers, but that underscore the IR interest. And especially being so close to DC.

He can certainly start with the Fiske Guide to Colleges, then run NPCs. But he needs an open mind.

• 1Tiger211Tiger21 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Just saying , Try to be honest. It really is a better way to live.
13»