Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

Hassan ZaidiHassan Zaidi Registered User Posts: 32 New Member
My Counselor in high school and teacher told me for good colleges I need to have Extracurricular. Right now I'm attending community college for my whole Senior Year and here are my Stats:

GPA: 3.74/4.00 Unweighted

SAT I: 1520/1600 780 Math 740 Verbal

What good colleges can I get into just based on good grades and Test scores ?

Replies to: Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

• GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 19,343 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    Yes, there are some colleges that do not consider EC's in their admission decisions.

Home state? College Budget? Geographical Preferences? Intended major?

Generally, at large public universities, extracurricular activities will not have a particularly significant impact on your application. This is because these schools — especially state flagship schools — receive tens of thousands of applicants each year, but have limited resources available to evaluate them.

Take a look at the common dataset for many of the state public universities to see if EC's are considered.

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    What is your state? What do you want to study? What can you afford? What sort of college or university would you want to attend?
  • Hassan ZaidiHassan Zaidi Registered User Posts: 32 New Member
    I plan on becoming a Lawyer and for undergraduate degree I want to do international studies.
    I want to know a list of good colleges to apply to.
    Which is only based on test scores and grades and I live in maryland but money won't be a issue.
    edited September 12
    Start with in your in-state public universities and look at the common dataset which will show if they consider EC's in their admission decisions. Again, what is your budget/year for college?

The California State Universities (Cal states) base their admissions only on GPA and test scores. EC's are not considered but if you are an OOS applicant, the costs will be in the $36K-40K/year range.

Posters need some ideas of type of colleges, how much you can afford, which areas in the US you would like to study and what you consider "good" colleges. You have competitive stats so there are many schools will offer merit aid based on your stats. Do you qualify for need-based aid also?
    The problem is that JHU is one good school in Maryland but they look at SAT subjects which I didn't take and they look at ECs which I didn't take.
    Can you answer the questions above ^^^^?
    Can someone give me a list of good schools to apply to cuz I've been looking myself and I keep getting discouraged
    I did
    I qualify for need base aid I come from a low income family
    edited September 12
    What is your college budget? Do you need merit aid and/or need-based aid to afford college? What is your home state? You do not care where in the US you study? Are you an international applicant or are you a US citizen? What do you do in your spare time? No hobbies? No Job?
    My parents make about 35k per year and they said they willing to pay up to 7k per year for college and they have like 10k in savings
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    Yes. Good grades, test scores, letters of recommendation and essays trump ECs any day.
    So again which schools can I apply to because my counselor says the good ones I have no chance