Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I transfer - again?

gagdudegagdude Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I know this is kind of odd, but let me explain.

Basically, I really struggled with the transition to college itself at my first university (was far away, got homesick, closed myself off) so I transferred into my state's large school(UIUC). I am past that transition state now, and have found that being around close friends from high school has really kept me from reaching out more. However, I'm getting a steep discount since I'm in state and I'm in a great program for CS. I feel like I was just not ready for college and had to find a quick fix for my mental state, but am now ready.

I guess it's really boiled down to: do I sacrifice money and (possibly) a highly ranked program for a more wholesome college experience?

Specifics: currently a sophomore (transferred 2nd sem freshman year), looking at reach schools of Princeton and CMU, but more realistically will be accepted to and willing to attend Cornell, UCLA, Northeastern... am also considering transferring back to my previous school

Is it worth it to transfer in my case? Thanks! :)

Replies to: Should I transfer - again?

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    You won't get a penny of aid from UCLA IF you were to be admitted: $60K per year.
    I really don't think it is worth it. You are at a good school; take advantage of what is available there for you.
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,694 Senior Member
    If you're mature enough to realize that you are investing too much time with HS friends at expense of making the most of college experience, then you are mature enough to do something about it without transferring. You are at a good school and one that is large enough to have a bunch of different groups and ways to connect. Focus on relationships with professors and maybe some clubs/activities related to your major. Or find another group that meets another interest - take a PE class that teaches you something new (rock climbing, kayaking, swing dancing).

It's your decision to hang out with a certain group and to not reach out. My youngest went to in-town big U and focused on new friends and rarely saw/interacted with kids from HS (and they were there, including a best friend). She stayed close to best friend but intentionally did not room with her and got involved in different groups. You can develop different groups without moving - friends from HS, friends from major, friends based on clubs/interests, etc.

My "mom" vote is to stay and make changes yourself.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    edited September 14
    I agree with both comments above. You are at a GREAT university with a very good price and an excellent program in your major. A lot can go wrong with transferring.

If you are spending too much time hanging out with high school friends, then do something else. Join a club and meet some different people. You can get a more wholesome college experience where you are.

You can also get a worse academic program in CS at other schools. I haven't visited UIUC but I have heard that it is very good at CS.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,338 Super Moderator
    You need to do some basic research. For instance Princeton accepts NO transfers. https://registrar.princeton.edu/university_enrollment_sta/CDS_2016-2017.pdf It's also hard to believe you would consider moving to a school with a lesser CS program than UIUC.
    have found that being around close friends from high school has really kept me from reaching out more
    It's up to you to start to work more for yourself. If that entails growing away from your friends...
  • gagdudegagdude Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 14
    Thanks! I appreciate all the responses. I think what you all said makes sense and I will probably stay. It kind of is a pain to transfer, and it's hard to see now, but I'm definitely the reason for my own problems.

@ErinsDad Princeton actually recently opened up to transfer applicants (admission for Fall 2018). So I did do my research, just was stuck on whether I should do it or not :)