Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ivy League full price vs UofM in state tuition?

payubisoft1payubisoft1 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi everyone! I have to make the decision between paying for Columbia full price or going to University of Michigan on in state tuition for my undergrad. I plan on studying computer science. I will most likely want to go to grad school. If I go to Columbia, my entire undergrad is payed for but I'd have to pay for part of my grad school myself. If I go to Umich, my undergrad and grad is paid for and I'd have money left over. I prefer Columbia but I'm not sure it's worth the additional $180,000. Which would you choose in my situation?

Replies to: Ivy League full price vs UofM in state tuition?

• moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,581 Senior Member
    Michigan. No brainer.
  • fivesagesfivesages Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    If you're 100% set on going into CS, definitely UofM. But, if you're open to exploring other avenues, I would probably consider Columbia.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 2,847 Senior Member
    edited October 8
    That is like asking:

Do you want the Shelby Mustang for $20K, or the Camaro for $60K?

The only thing you get at Columbia over Michigan is NYC. Half of Long Island goes to school at Michigan anyway so you can have a bit of that too.

Even the Columbia graduate parents we know send their kids to Michigan.
  • isthisborealisthisboreal Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Go to umich. it's on par with many of the top universities (uc berkeley, etc) so academically you'll be more than fine there. unless you REALLLLLY want Columbia because you love the school, but even then, it's not worth the money (especially for undergrad). umich is one of the top schools for engineering and CS, people would kill to go there for in-state tuition. Go there.
  • aoeuidhtnsaoeuidhtns Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    What kind of grad school are you looking at?

If you're paying sticker price, then UofM would make more sense if you're considering the technical skills you'll learn as a CS major. Also, do you want to stay in Michigan long-term? If so, Mich places more of their graduates instate than Columbia would.

Columbia, however, will give you better OCR opportunities in San Fran/NYC and an, arguably, stronger lifelong network. Also, agreed with @fivesages that Columbia gives you alternate paths if your career plans change--consulting, banking, etc.

• AlexandreAlexandre Super Moderator Posts: 24,124 Super Moderator
    edited October 9
    Columbia and Michigan are peer institutions. Similar calibre professors, similar classroom experience and resources, virtually identical opportunities, equally potent alumni network etc... If cost of attendance is the same, I would say go for fit, but if one is cheaper than the other, then the cheaper option makes better sense, unless money is no object, in which case I would again recommend fit.

Just as an aside, last year, out of roughly 480 CS Michigan undergraduate students who graduated, more than 150 joined companies the four most desirable IT firms: Apple, Google, Microsoft and Amazon.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    Columbia and Michigan are not peer universities. Michigan and UVA and other top publics are.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,426 Senior Member
    Michigan will be easier than Columbia, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on you.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    Still would choose UMich over Columbia for price and your particular major.
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,513 Senior Member
    Michigan for undergrad, Columbia for grad (if you're still into it...).
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 9,803 Senior Member
    Michigan.
    For some students, Columbia may be worth some price premium. Not $180K, though.

• jrm815jrm815 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    In CS, you don't get as much of a boost in salary coming out with an MS versus BS that you might in other disciplines. Unless you really want to go for a PhD, going full time to grad school for an MS doesn't really pay unless you are an International looking for visa status. Many companies will hire you with your BS and subsidize you going part time for an MS while you work. So the school comparison (for this major) should be done on the basis of the undergrad degree.

In this case, cost-wise Michigan is the clear winner. When it comes to fit, the schools have very different vibes to them and being in NYC might have extra appeal.