right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cut down on high reaches

2»

Replies to: Cut down on high reaches

• caralhomancaralhoman 62 replies18 threads Junior Member
    @theloniusmonk I'm sorry that this was a late reply, but I was wondering why you said Caltech over MIT? On other sites, people said MIT is more engineering-focused while Caltech is more pure science.
    · Reply · Share
  • CrewDadCrewDad 1697 replies24 threads Senior Member
    But Caltech doesn't have the Smoot unit of measure.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad 6202 replies163 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    @caralhoman

What I meant was that in order for my algorithm to accurately predict the probability of attending a specific school, the probabilities of admission for each college has to be independent. In general they are not. However, the biggest factors in admissions are usually SAT and GPA. Therefore the algorithms assumes that the conditional probability of your admission to a school given your SAT and GPA is independent from school to school. This is an approximation that ignores ECs, recommendations, difficulty of curriculum and many other factors. For some people, one can estimate these probabilities using Naviance scatter plots and counting the admits in the neighborhood of your SAT/GPA point divided by the total number of applications in that neighborhood.

Does your school have Naviance scatter plots? If not, you need to find some other way to assess the probability of admissions given your SAT and GPA. Does your school have any data?
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • caralhomancaralhoman 62 replies18 threads Junior Member
    @ClassicRockerDad Our school has Naviance scatter plots; however, they are quite useless as our school does not have much data as the data is from 2016, and our school is really small (18 ppl. in my grade).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity