Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cut down on high reaches

2»

Replies to: Cut down on high reaches

• caralhomancaralhoman Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    @ucbalumnus The scatter plots at my school are useless. My high school is really small (around 100 students total) so there is not enough information to really make a scatter plot. And since our Naviance only has data from 2016, basically nobody has been accepted into an Ivy League or any other top school.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,620 Senior Member
    Have you run the net price calculators to check affordability?

Any that are clearly unaffordable can be obvious candidates for removal from your list.
    @ucbalumnus Not yet, but I will make sure to do it soon.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,606 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    They all at least claim to meet 100% of demonstrated need. Yes, they will differ in how they define "need", and yes, the net prices will vary. Here are some net price estimates I get for a median income (~$60K/year) family in ~centrally located Michigan.

$5300 ..... Cornell
    $5632 ..... MIT
    $11377 ... Michigan-AA (in-state)
    $11445 ... JHU

YMMV. Even the rank order may differ for another income bracket.
    Typically, hyper-selective schools like Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford do give the best aid ... but first you have to get in. I agree with others who suggest dropping Harvard for engineering.

What about your own in-state flagship? Is it on the list already? Some of these schools have excellent engineering programs as well as competitive in-state prices. Consider dropping any private "reach" schools if their net prices are higher than the state flagship's and their engineering programs are not clearly superior.
    @tk21769 Thanks for the reply! The problem I face is that I am an American citizen living abroad, so that means I am not a resident of any state, and therefore, there are no colleges that I can go for in-state prices (excluding special cases)...
    @theloniusmonk I'm sorry that this was a late reply, but I was wondering why you said Caltech over MIT? On other sites, people said MIT is more engineering-focused while Caltech is more pure science.
  • CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    But Caltech doesn't have the Smoot unit of measure.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    @caralhoman

What I meant was that in order for my algorithm to accurately predict the probability of attending a specific school, the probabilities of admission for each college has to be independent. In general they are not. However, the biggest factors in admissions are usually SAT and GPA. Therefore the algorithms assumes that the conditional probability of your admission to a school given your SAT and GPA is independent from school to school. This is an approximation that ignores ECs, recommendations, difficulty of curriculum and many other factors. For some people, one can estimate these probabilities using Naviance scatter plots and counting the admits in the neighborhood of your SAT/GPA point divided by the total number of applications in that neighborhood.

Does your school have Naviance scatter plots? If not, you need to find some other way to assess the probability of admissions given your SAT and GPA. Does your school have any data?
    @ClassicRockerDad Our school has Naviance scatter plots; however, they are quite useless as our school does not have much data as the data is from 2016, and our school is really small (18 ppl. in my grade).
This discussion has been closed.