Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Choose a university for me!

2»

Replies to: Choose a university for me!

• AmicusPlatoAmicusPlato Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @DadTwoGirls "Other than an eager desire to get rid of an extra US$200,000 (or C$250,000), I don't understand why you want to go to the US for university."
    #1. Did I not make it clear that I'm hoping for financial aid? I'm not so stupid that I as a poor person from a poor family would get a nearly financially worthless degree from an overpriced American university. It is quite conceivable that I could attend university in the US for less money than I could here IF I get the desired amount of aid.
    #2. There's a much stronger university culture in the States than there is here, and American students treat university more seriously than do Canadians - or that's what my experience is at any rate. There's a university in the city where I live, and not a small one either at 12,000 some students, and I could attend it for less than $10,000, but I'm not even remotely interested in it because the standards are too low and the students too frivolous; you only need a 65% from high school to get into the faculty of arts, which results in a bunch of underperforming students applying to it because they aren't smart enough to get into the STEM fields. I want to be challenged in university by my classes and professors, and I want to be inspired by the academic rigour of my classmates, and it won't happen at my city's university. Could it happen at a different Canadian university? Only if I won the lottery; universities out of the province, once you take into account residence fees, would make the whole endeavor untenable.
    I have other reasons too, but suffice it to say I've thought extensively about what I'm doing and have solid reasons for preferring an American university.
  • AmicusPlatoAmicusPlato Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 I have considered St. John's; it's not my first pick, in part because I'm planning on graduate school after my undergrad and I figure a more conventional university will better prepare me for that. Still, it's an appealing place and if I got an acceptable financial aid package from them I might very well accept. At any rate, I'll definitely apply to it.
    I might send out some emails inquiring as to their admission requirements and see if lacking a full high school education would be an impediment, though I'm not particularly concerned.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 36,745 Senior Member
    St John's is very good with graduate school placement (basically all graduates who want to, get into their programs).

An issue is that, as an international, your financial need is taken into account. Colleges have a limited budget for international aid so they very, very rarely allocate full rides. Sometimes, full tuition, but not often. As a result, the fact you need a lot of financial aid will impact your admission odds.
    Very few universities are need blind/meet need for internationals: Amherst, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT. Odds for a top international applicant are only about 3%.

You SHOULD be concerned about lacking a full HS education: most colleges simply won't consider your application without it, even if you have extensive philosophy knowledge.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 18
    I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think you are likely to get a "stronger university culture" in the U.S vs. a good Canadian University. There are idiots at every school, but your painting(and with a very broad brush) of Canadians as being less serious than U.S. students is, I believe, misinformed. I say this as a dual citizen who lives down in the US, and has been able to see some really good schools down here while trying to find a fit for S1, who will be attending McGill come September. He chose McGill over some terrific colleges down here. I have no concerns that he is going to a "frivolous" school. Describing it, U of T, UBC, or Queens as "frivolous", is, frankly, bizarre. And if you think that they will be too expensive and that U.S. schools are going to be more generous financially then you are in for a rude shock, unless you are a REALLY unique and brilliant case.

I have family teaching on the faculties of University of Chicago, an Ivy, and a couple of other equivalent schools. They are great, but for the most part you can get just as good of an education at one of the good Canadian schools, and at a fraction of the price. Canadian schools will also be more likely to give you a scholarship(as a Canadian) than an elite American one would.

• BasicOhioParentBasicOhioParent Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    I agree with the posters who suggest that your best bets are the top Canadian universities, but I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the University of Pittsburgh. It is world-renowned in Philosophy, and it may not be too late to apply.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,428 Senior Member
    edited January 18
    This student needs full financial aid. He will not get that at Pitt. Pitt does have merit scholarships but only for high stats students. The OP would not qualify. Pitt really isn’t a good suggestion in this case.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,802 Senior Member
    @BasicOhioParent --the reason no one here has mentioned University of Pittsburgh is because they do not give "generous financial aid" to students with need. They do give merit aid but he will need SAT 1480/ACT 33+ scores to get even half tuition.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,332 Senior Member
    I would actually suggest that you look into Deep Springs. A very unusual school. If you get in, it's free.
2»