Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Northwest, S&T, Truman, MU

mlance02mlance02 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am a high school senior in Missouri and I cannot decide which college to go to! I am interested in getting a career in something to do with math that has a high salary, I will not settle for anything that makes less than $70,000 a year. I have thought about majoring in accounting, finance, statistics, economics, engineering, or even architecture.
Each school that I am considering has its pros and cons, but I just cannot decide which one's pros outweigh the cons. MU has the most majors to choose from, which is great since I am still undecided. However, it is so expensive and it isn't really prestige.
Northwest is very affordable and I will get a lot of scholarships, but they don't have as many options as I would like, considering that I am still undecided on my major. Also, it isn't super prestigious and it's just a pretty average school. I want a school that will give me a top tier education. My dad went to Northwest and so did my cousins so it's kind of a family school.
Truman is also affordable, but doesn't have as many major choices as MU. It's said to be really prestigious as well but the town is apparently boring. They have a good statistics program but offer nothing in the field of engineering.
S&T only has the engineering and architecture options that I could possibly be interested in, but doesn't offer anything in finance. The school is also highly ranked in the education it gives students I think. Their students also receive high salaries after graduation. But I'm not sure I would really like to do engineering or architecture.
The most important thing to me is being able to major in what I decide down the line, and getting a really good paying job after graduation. If I do something in finance or statistics then I'll probably go for my masters degree at a school other than these four.

Replies to: Northwest, S&T, Truman, MU

• CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 2,786 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    If you want the option of engineering, then it is either MU or S&T. Neither NW nor Truman has engineering.

Note that engineering may not be a good fit if you are undecided and want to explore different fields. There are generally loads of requirements for an engineering degree, so most engineering students are on a relatively tight and inflexible class schedule as soon as they enter college as freshmen. Furthermore, there is usually high demand for spots in engineering programs at state universities. If you enter a state university as "undeclared", or in some other major, it may be hard to transfer into engineering later; even if you do make the switch, it may be too late to make up all of the requirements needed to graduate in four years.

You could enter as a declared engineering major at MU or S&T, then drop out if you don't like it and try something else. Switching majors out of engineering is usually not a problem. There would be more alternative options at MU, although S&T does have programs in business and applied math. Their Bachelor of Science in Business and Management Systems is AACSB-accredited and looks interesting:
    This program blends courses in accounting, big data, business analytics, data science, e-commerce, entrepreneurship, finance, information systems, international business, leadership, management, marketing, operations, strategies, and supply chain.
    http://bit.mst.edu/business/degrees/businessmanagementsystems/
    [Truman State] is said to be really prestigious as well but the town is apparently boring.
    S&T is located in Rolla, which does not have a reputation as a particularly exciting town either. Note the social environment at S&T is also affected by the gender ratio: men outnumber women by more than 3 to 1 (77% to 23%)
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Do not go to S&T unless you are certain you want to major in engineering or math/science. That is the strength but also the culture of the campus. If you are serious in considering a business major, then go to Mizzou instead so that it would be an option if engineering/STEM doesn’t work out.

Truman is great otherwise, but as mentioned above, engineering is not an option. Truman is also cheaper than Mizzou in all likelihood (depending on exact scholarships you might qualify for).
  • LostLilKidLostLilKid Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Personally as a fellow senior from Missouri. If you’re doubting Truman because the town is boring then S&T is not for you. I would suggest looking at Missouri State. Significantly cheaper than Mizzou and engineering is pretty much the same as S&T. Missouri state is located in Springfield Which is not a boring city at all. (Nor expensive). And Missouri state has almost all the options you can think of that MU would have.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,452 Senior Member
    If you want a lucrative field, right now applied math and CS are the ways to go. Finance is another one but especially in the right university.

Are you currently enrolled in calculus? Precalculus honors? Getting an easy A? Struggling for an A/B? Barely a B? This will matter.
    What are your Stats (GPA, weighted/unweighted, test scores)?

What's your budget?
    Do you know your EFC?

Depending in your EFC, some private universities may be cheaper for you than Missouri publics.

Northwest is not strong enough in math or business.
    Truman, S&T, and Mizzou would all work for Math/stats.
    S&T would be the strongest for CS.
    Both Mizzou and Truman woukd be best for business.