Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Too much culture shock when Northerners go South (e.g., "Bama & Ole Miss) for college?

Replies to: Too much culture shock when Northerners go South (e.g., "Bama & Ole Miss) for college?

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,292 Senior Member
    ^People don't smile much in Europe either. We have a strong European influence in New England that's all.
  • IlamBehiniIlamBehini Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I've lived in the south for 25 years, and have never met anyone who attended a debutante ball. I wouldn't worry abouth that one too much.
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    It's been my experience that many southern schools have tons of northerners these days. My S attends school in NC and the northeast is among the largest contributors to the freshmen class. He attends a private school so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I've heard it's similar at several other peer privates in the south. I guess if the ivies are out, there's a certain attraction to getting out of the cold.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,148 Senior Member
    LOL @IlamBehini ! I was wondering about that one, too. Years ago--I mean many, many years ago, my grandmother was a debutante in Alabama, but that interest seems to have skipped my parents' and all subsequent generations!
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,086 Senior Member
    Kids who went to Bama or Ole Miss from our central Ohio HS have had mixed success. A few hated it and transferred a semester or year in, a few stayed south. Anecdotally the ones who chose it because it was free or cheap tended to be the unhappy ones. I know of 2 students in D's grade who just couldn't wait to Roll Tide, and their parents paid full OOS price for them to do so.

Visiting will be important.

PS: People in Ohio smile. And say Good Morning and all that. No culture shock there.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,723 Senior Member

Have you considered universities in the West? Generous merit for OOS students can be had at Arizona State, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas, for example, especially if your child is a national merit semifinalist/finalist.

I'm not disparaging southern universities, just suggesting alternatives.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 3,184 Senior Member
    We are from Michigan and many friend's kids have gone to school in Georgia, NC, Alabama, Louisiana, etc. They loved their experience. Greek life is optional in any case, and a lot more affordable with big scholarships.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    While not a Southerner, I will say that I generally find Southerners to be the most polite Americans.

I don't know if California falls into the Northerner category, but my California-raised daughter had no problems at all attending college in Tennessee.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    @simba9 As a NY'er, who has been all over, I have personally found the friendliest people to be from California and the South, especially Kentucky (their friendliness was off the charts). And I just love Californians. The ones I have met are just so easy to talk to, laid back and seem really sincere. So it's no wonder your D fit right at her TN school.

As for the OP, a few months ago we toured schools in Virginia and NC, and my family just got such a good feeling. The schools just have a different vibe than schools in the Northeast. The thing is, the schools we saw have an abundance of non-southerners attending, but they still felt different, in a good way. I would think the easiest adjustment would be to attend a school where there's a lot of geographic diversity. From what I hear Alabama is attracting kids from all over so you get the best of both worlds.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,292 Senior Member
    @millie210 Actually Europeans think we look stupid smiling. Now I am a frugal with smiles as a Northerner but that dour POV that cheerfulness and friendliness is somehow deceptive or undesirable need not be imported to our shores. The world is already a depressing place. We don't need anymore grimness.