Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Amherst vs Williams vs Bowdoin vs Middlebury

2»

Replies to: Amherst vs Williams vs Bowdoin vs Middlebury

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 7,973 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Re #15, Beyond a certain point, however, signs can be found -- whether or not they can matched to exact enrollment thresholds -- that indicate that some larger liberal arts colleges have exceeded the ideals of their models. As one example, some appear to have created a need for residential divisions in what seems like an effort at recapturing their former social atmospheres. (Nontheless, some LACs have indeed created strong, successful identifies at somewhat larger sizes -- but none of these schools, including the venerable Middlebury, were the particular object of my earlier reply.)
  • circuitridercircuitrider Registered User Posts: 2,789 Senior Member
    @merc81 wrote:
    Re #15, Beyond a certain point, however, signs can be found -- whether or not they can matched to exact enrollment thresholds -- that indicate that some larger liberal arts colleges have exceeded the ideals of their models. As one example, some appear to have created a need for residential divisions in what seems like an effort at recapturing their former social atmospheres. (Nontheless, some LACs have indeed created strong, successful identifies at somewhat larger sizes -- but none of these schools, including the venerable Middlebury, were the particular object of my earlier reply.)

I have no idea what you just said.
  • sheepskin00sheepskin00 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    If you're a more social type, Amherst would be the best bet simply because of the consortium. You'd have access to thousands of other college students. At Williams and Midd, you're really limited to whoever happens to be on campus at any given time. Williamstown and Middlebury are TINY and don't offer much besides the bare minimum. Minuscule college towns like that can be claustrophobia inducing after freshman year, once the novelty of college has worn off a bit. I'm not as familar with Bowdoin but it's not far from Portland, which is a very cool little city.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 7,973 Senior Member
    I could have matched object to my plural subject, none/not any, but otherwise I'm satisfied with my writing there, @circuitrider. Though it's not for everyone, I can see that now.
  • rman0070rman0070 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    All amazing school. Middlebury is great for languages and Williams has great English and Amherst has great political science. All of the schools are top for virtually almost everything. Pick the school based on the people you like the most and programs you are interested in. If you want a LAC near a city (none of these are) Haverford is also a terrific option that is top of the top. You will be so lucky to attend any of those schools. All the best!
  • jujunette01jujunette01 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    When really getting to their differences, Williams seems to art/English focused (I am not interested at all in those fields), Amherst is unappealing due to its proximity to so many other colleges yet ruralness. Haverford is actually 15 minutes away from me, so I’m not as inclined to go there. @rman0070
  • CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Williams seems to art/English focused

And physics, math, econ...........
    Five of our students have won the LeRoy Apker Award (1999, 2002, 2004, 2010, and 2015). This national award is the highest honor for physics research by an undergraduate student in the United States. Williams students have won more Apker Awards than students from any other primarily undergraduate college.
    https://physics.williams.edu
  • jujunette01jujunette01 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @CrewDad I was referencing their especially strong English department as well as art focus since the only thing in town really is an art museum
2»