Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges in the Northeast with Good Merit Scholarships

hopestobehopestobe Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
I'm looking for schools that I can look into that give good merit aid in the northeast. I have a 4.0 UW GPA and a 1510 SAT score and most of the schools I'm looking at either offer none or its extremely difficult to get. Thanks!

Replies to: Colleges in the Northeast with Good Merit Scholarships

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    Are you female? What can you afford per year?
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    Lafayette College gives merit money. While not north, University of Richmond is east coast and gives many full tuition scholarships - still very competitive.
  • mclmommclmom Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    Pitt gives a lot of merit money to students with high GPA/test scores. And it's very much up and coming and the town is getting great. Google has an outpost there. Pitt also has guaranteed admit to a number of the grad schools.
  • SchoolisOutSchoolisOut Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Franklin Pierce gives a lot of money.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,120 Forum Champion
    Clark
    Lafayette
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,590 Senior Member
    Are you likely to be NMF finalist?
  • hopestobehopestobe Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    @gearmom Yes I'm a female! What I can afford really depends on how much financial aid/merit aid I can get. Probably about 30-40k a year. My mom is a single mother too I don't know if that means anything.
  • hopestobehopestobe Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston Probably not. I'm in New Jersey and despite my pretty high PSAT score, NJ is a super competitive state for that.
  • listcollegeherelistcollegehere Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    University of Rochester
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,188 Senior Member
    Providence
    St Michael’s
    Hobart
    Fairfield
    Susquehanna
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,605 Senior Member
    I have a 4.0 UW GPA and a 1510 SAT score and most of the schools I'm looking at either offer none or its extremely difficult to get. Thanks!

Very selective colleges in the NE typically offer little or no merit money. They don't need to in order to attract strong students. So look at less selective colleges or else schools in areas considered (rightly or wrongly) less attractive.

The Kiplinger "best value" lists for private universities and LACs show average merit awards and the percentage of students who get them. Click-sort on the column labeled "% of non-need-based aid". Schools in the ~NE with relatively high percentages, as well as average awards >$10K, include:

St. Michael's College
    Clarkson
    St. John Fisher
    RPI
    Clark
    URochester
    RIT

St. John's College (Annapolis)
    St. Lawrence
    Houghton
    Wheaton (MA)
    Marlboro
    Muhlenberg
    Union
    College of the Atlantic

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-private-colleges/index.php?table=prv_univ
    https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-private-colleges/index.php?table=lib_arts

Some of these may work for a high-stats student who needs a half-tuition scholarship, more or less.
    If you need more, consider schools that offer automatic full tuition (or full ride) scholarships for qualifying stats.
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21015126/#Comment_21015126
    http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,900 Forum Champion
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like you need a full ride otherwise how will the remaining costs get covered?

Is your dad alive? If so, then some of the schools you may be looking at will require his info too.

Are you a senior?
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    Your stats are impressive but merit aid at selective and highly selective schools is incredibly competitive. Perhaps you would get some, perhaps you wouldn't. The next tier down (as if there really is such a thing) provides far more merit aid to students like you as they want to pick off kids that would have otherwise attended the rung above (or a few rungs).

Someone mentioned Richmond. Great school, great city. Yes, you would be competitive as both an accepted student and in consideration for merit aid. However, their aid is VERY competitive. We applied (I know,an anecdote) last yr and were surprised to not get merit aid. Apparently many were equally surprised so they put something on their website explaining the type of kids who get merit aid. They went to great lengths to explain the difference between the best kid in your high school that year vs. the best kid your high school graduated in the past 20 years. They were looking for amazing stuff way beyond great grades, test scores and typical ECs (my S was a rock star at his school, grades, scores, leadership, mentor, etc.). Same thing at BU.

Not trying to discourage you, just presenting a dose of reality. You may very well get great merit aid from top schools. You may not.

Looking at schools like Syracuse would help you as they are far more generous in merit aid. Not unusual to combine admission aid and department aid for a pretty nice scholarship (25k per yr range).
  • trackmbe3trackmbe3 Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    edited December 2017
    @hopestobe You only ask about merit aid --forget about Rochester, Lafayette,Syracuse and all other schools where tuition and room and board are approx $65,000-$70,000 per year, because even if you were to get a top merit award in the $25,000 range (and that's a big IF), your total cost would be upwards of $40,000 per year. Can you afford that? Personally, I am a big fan of large out of state flagships that give large merit aid (including full tuition) to attract high stat students such as yourself, thus making cost of attendance less than or at least comparable to your in-state new jersey flagship (Rutgers, TCNJ). Ohio State, Alabama-Tuscaloosa, Temple, Pitt, Vermont, New Hampshire, UMass, maybe even UConn, come to mind. If you prefer the northeast and private schools then you should look for colleges where your stats are well within the top quarter of the class (think Muehlenberg, Quinnipiac, Hofstra), so that you might be eligible for full tuition. Are you willing to go to a "safety" or lower-ranked college in order to be eligible for the higher merit awards? The big merit awards go to applicants who applied by Early Action deadlines of November 1. Did you apply already? A separate question is whether you qualify for need-based aid. What is your expected family contribution (EFC) under the FAFSA? I ask this because based if your EFC is low, you might get large need-based aid (or combined merit and need-based aid) from target and reach private colleges that could make it affordable to attend.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 986 Member
    Rutgers offers free rides in their Honors College. They are competitive but your stats would put you in the running.
This discussion has been closed.