This is from a "chance me" thread, and reposted at the request of @gearmom
, which understandably says I should apply to some different schools. Where do you think I should go?
Hello. I convinced myself that a <10% admit rate is doable, but I just need that "extra bout of confidence" before sending my applications off. /s
I graduated in May 2017, but I'm taking a gap year. I will go to college in the fall of 2018.
The "holistic" part:
- Florida public school
- Immigrant (born in Mexico to Mexican and Cuban parents)
- Not brown enough to be randomly stopped by immigration
- Computer nerd (started teaching myself coding since age 12-ish)
- 1500 SAT (750 English, 750 Math, 5/5/5 Essay)
- 760 SAT Mathematics Level 2
- 750 SAT Physics
- 34 ACT Composite (35 ENG, 34 MAT, 33 REA, 34 SCI, 07 WRI, 29 ELA, 34 STEM)
- Unweighted GPA: 3.16 (damn it, so close to pi)
- Weighted GPA: 3.97
- 74th percentile in school
- 5 AP Calc BC
- 5 AP Calc AB
- 5 AP Lang
- 5 AP Physics C: E&M (self-study; school didn't have this class)
- 5 AP Physics C: Mechanics
- 4 AP Computer Science
- 4 AP Lit
- 4 AP Physics 1
- 4 AP US History
- 4 AP World History
- 3 AP US Government (retaking 2018)
- 3 AP Macroeconomics (retaking 2018)
- Taking AP statistics test 2018 probably
- Freshman: Eng Hon, Algebra 2, Chorus, ROTC, Bio Hon, World Hist, Electronics
- Sophomore: Eng hon 2, Geo hon, Chorus, ROTC, Chem Hon, AP World Hist, Electronics 2, Pre-calc Hon (online), Intro to IT (online)
- Junior: French 1, AP Lang, AP Calc AB, AP Physics 1, AP US Hist, Electronics 3, Digital Video Production, AP Computer Science (online)
- Senior: AP US Govt, AP Macro, French 2, AP Eng Lit, AP Calc BC, AP Physics C: Mechanics, Electronics 4, Cybersecurity
- I can't kick/throw/dribble a ball very well yet, so I probably won't get admitted because of sports.
- Sung in my school's Concert Choir 2 years (My grade depended on this one so I had to go)
- Started a club where I taught coding every week. I guess this counts as community service but I never kept track of the hours.
- Programmer (Junior) and Team Captain (Senior) of FIRST Robotics team.
- Interned at Lockheed Martin Summer 2017
- Work full time as a remote software developer
- "Most improved science award". I was pretty pissed about getting a "most improved" award, but the award also came with a check for 100 bucks so all is forgiven.
- AP Scholar w/ Distinction
- My mom says I'm pretty smart
I'm probably majoring in Neuroscience or Computer Science.
Okay, now here's the part where you spit out your drink laughing. Here are the colleges I'm applying to:
- University of Florida
- Boston University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Harvey Mudd College
- Carnegie Mellon University (School of Computer Science)
- Stanford University
The Stanford app is just for a goof. I'm showing a neural net a bunch of example essays so that it can generate the "perfect" essay. I'll submit whatever the algorithm comes up with. Given my grades, I don't expect it to work lol.
Thanks for reading this summary of my boring life. Chance me?