Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does undergrad matter?... Take or leave a full ride offer? HELP

2»

Replies to: Does undergrad matter?... Take or leave a full ride offer? HELP

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,522 Forum Champion
    Does Adelphi have a pre-health advisory office (many colleges do)? If so perhaps contact them to talk about how they do in terms of.gettng graduates into the types of programs you have interest in. Since you seem to live nearby perhaps you can even set up a time to visit the college and speak with someone face to face.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,664 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Adelphi does have pre-health advising: http://prepare.adelphi.edu/pre-health/overview/
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,530 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Very few students have trust funds. However, your parents will be getting money back since you're going to college and they're expected to pay, although some parents choose to transfer that amount to their kid's tuition; if you dorm, they no longer pay for your food and transportation, and they don't have to pay for your HS activities/clubs. All of that is money that's freed even if they have no savings that can go toward college.
    If they don't qualify for Excelsior, it means they make more than 110K a year - are you saying they told you they'd contribute nothing toward your college costs or that they'd contribute from income only? (I understand they don't have college savings).
    If they have the money but take Parent PLUS loans for you it'd make no sense - and you are not allowed to take on loans in excess of 5.5K, the rest would be on them. Is that what they were thinking of doing?

Go visit Adelphi and arrange to meet with people in chemistry, biology, pre-health as well as the honors college (guessing you've been invited already or were invited to apply).
    How far do you live from Adelphi? Is the road easily commutable?
    Have you applied to TCNJ, Rowan, NJIT?
  • avocadoghostavocadoghost Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Are you applying to any schools that meet 100% demonstrated need AND do not include loans in their financial aid packages? Schools like Amherst (which I will be attending with a full scholarship), most of the ivies, Colby, Bowdoin, Emory and more are fantastic schools that are more affordable than their sticker price suggests, with no loans. You’re right to be concerned about how much debt you’re going into, and Adelphi might be the best choice for you, but I would wait to see other offers if you can.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,530 Senior Member
    What are your stats? Any interesting EC's?

• techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,371 Senior Member
    My son was accepted to Adelphi last year but didn't get as much as you were offered so he is now at a SUNY upstate. One thing we learned at Adelphi is that students can apply to be RA's even if they haven't lived on campus the first year, which is quite different from most other schools. This might present an option for you to live on campus in subsequent years.

Also, Adelphi has a top notch nursing program. We toured the new facilities last year out of curiosity and the school has really put a lot of money into its health sciences offerings.

As noted above, the campus is lovely and the three times we visited, everyone seemed enthusiastic and friendly. My son would have been happy there, but the value was not there, price wise, for us. You seem to be in a different situation.

I would also urge you to consider SUNY schools.

Good luck.
  • special4996special4996 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    All that matters is a degree with a good GPA. So don't waste time partying and study hard. Do not take on debt if you do not have to. Study hard for DAT. Keep the focus on GPA and DAT and study like a dog. You will succeed no matter where you are. If you can commute and it is not over an hour, then you will save living costs and avoid distractions.

Keep focus on the goal. Adelphi would be fine. Start studying from day one. You can get behind very quickly in college and then recovery is very hard.

Good Luck.
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Prestige is highly overrated. I would go where the money is at and looks like you're doing OK. Check out the dorm costs also. You might find that it's a lot cheaper to live there and work part time/summers.
This discussion has been closed.