Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Does undergrad matter?... Take or leave a full ride offer? HELP

greekgirl4476greekgirl4476 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
Hello all! I applied to 10 schools early and got into 9 of them. Rejected: Vanderbilt ED, Accepted EA: Adelphi, Clark, Binghamton, Drexel, Fordham, LIU-Post, Rutgers, UMass-Amherst, St. Johns. I received a full scholarship from Adelphi University. Adelphi was a safety school for me and is on the lower scale of most of my options. At this point, I am considering whether or not to go there. Pros: free college, potentially succeed/stand out more bc less competitive school, save up for grad school. Cons: Not a big name school, and no dorming. My big question is does undergrad count if im going to head into dentistry or optometry, and if it does, is Adelphi a bad choice. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Replies to: Does undergrad matter?... Take or leave a full ride offer? HELP

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,728 Senior Member
    It may help your decision making to make a list of each college, its net price, its estimated four year price.

Then compare with how much your parents will contribute over four years, so that you can add a column for what may be left over (would they contribute that to professional school costs?) or what loans you would have to take.

You may also want to check on the cost of professional school and how much debt that would involve.
  • greekgirl4476greekgirl4476 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    my parents have little to none saved, the cost of college makes it virtually impossible for most people to have a college fund saved for them. Any schools would involve me taking out loans
    Since you can only take $5,500 in loans without a cosigner and perhaps earn a few thousand more from part time work, that is your price limit, and all schools that cost more than that are too expensive. Depending on the other colleges' net prices, it could be that Adelphi with a full ride is your only affordable choice.
  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    @greekgirl4476 I send you a PM.
    Giod Luck.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    If you have nothing saved for college I say take the free full ride. Financial freedom will get you further ahead in life. Good luck!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,566 Senior Member
    Is Adelphi's scholarship a FULL RIDE (they cover tuition, fees, room, board, perhaps books) or a FULL TUITION (you're still on the hook for room&board plus all other costs)?
    Are you a NYS resident? Do you qualify for Excelsior?
    If a NYS resident, did you apply to other SUNYs?
    What can your parents contribute from income (even if they have no savings, surely they can use the AOTC plus whatever they spent on your food, transportation, clubs?)
    I assume you didn't get the LEEP scholarship at Clark?
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    Have you received financial aid/scholarship packages from all of the schools to which you have applied? Carefully go through each one. Include loans, work study, etc to determine what your real cost will be. Then you can make a real comparison about affordability.

If you are still waiting to hear from some of the alternatives, you should take the time to weigh your choices. If your parents really have no money to contribute, then you should pick the most affordable option. Talk with them to see to verify what they might be able to afford (income and savings, not loans).
    It’s full tuition, but I will be commuting so essentially it covers everything. I do not qualify for excelsior. My parents do not hve a trust fund for me lol I’m pretty much on my own for college. I just want to make sure Adelphi is a good choice.
    I have received a Lot of money from all of my other schools. It just becomes the fact that I’ll hve to do unto varying amounts of debt regardless
  • snarlatronsnarlatron Registered User Posts: 1,638 Senior Member
    going to head into dentistry
    To get some perspective, look at the UG schools attended by this year's incoming class as U Mich Dentistry, a highly-regarded dental school I picked at random. Not HYPS but lots of regional schools. To get in you need to have a good GPA and score well on the DAT. Prestige of UG a non-factor. But it costs a LOT of $$$ so start saving!
    http://dent.umich.edu/admissions/dds/dds-entering-class-student-profile
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 729 Member
    Check with Adelphi to see where recent grads have been admitted to med/dental/optometry school. You want to be sure they offer adequate preparation. Assuming yes, and if you are certain that is your career path, then go with the least expensive option for UG.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,912 Forum Champion
    ^^^^. Undergrad schools do not prepare you for med/dental/etc schools.

Adelphi will be fine.

<<
    does undergrad count if im going to head into dentistry or optometry,
    >>

No, it doesn’t matter at all.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,988 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I would take a free ride any day of the week. Adelphi is a lovely suburban school, near shopping and beaches, 30 minutes from midtown NYC.

Oh, and from their website: "Welcome to Adelphi’s residential communities, where students from all over the country—and the world—live, learn and grow together. Each of our seven residential communities offers support and convenience, as well as opportunities for personal growth, cultural exploration and interaction with peers and staff.

When you live on campus, you can be anywhere you need in five minutes: classes, dining locations, fitness center and gym, library, computer labs, bookstore and our spectacular performing arts venue. You can easily drop by campus offices like the Center for Career and Professional Development, Registrar’s office, Financial Aid, Health Services Center or Student Counseling Center. You will save hours each week by living on campus."

My friend's son dormed there for 4 years.
    It looks like the OP's parents will continue to support the OP living at home and commuting to Adelphi (cost is non-zero, but many parents and students act as if the cost is zero because it is already built into and hidden in the household budget), but not otherwise contribute. I.e. Adelphi with full tuition scholarship works because it is within commuting range, but living there may be too expensive given the parental non-contribution for anything other than living at home and commuting.
    I have received a Lot of money from all of my other schools. It just becomes the fact that I’ll hve to do unto varying amounts of debt regardless

What is the net price (after subtracting scholarships and grants (not loans or work study) from the list price) of each other school?
This discussion has been closed.