right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Just Want To Be Happy

2»

Replies to: Just Want To Be Happy

• intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I would not turn down a school assuming you can get back in for grad school.

How are the academics in your chosen area of interest at each of the schools on your list? Yale strikes me as the strongest for what you mentioned as well.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice 1291 replies29 threads Forum Champion
    edited December 2017
    Go to Yale Bulldog Days and Rice Owl Days if you are admitted to Rice and then decide. Rice often is rated number 1 for happiest students and quality of life. It is a very accepting environment. Housing is not guaranteed all 4 years but it is for 3. Unlike a lot of schools where kids want to live off campus asap, most Rice students want to live on campus all four years because they love their residential college. If you have a leadership position in your residential college, you are allowed to live on. There are cheap apartments very close to campus where the students that don't get housing tend to live. Most students want to live on campus senior year so junior year is the most common year to live off campus.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • citymama9citymama9 2502 replies142 threads Senior Member
    If you go to the same school as your sister people will only think that "wow, they must both be really smart". That is all. Getting into Yale is a great thing and sounds like a great fit as long as you can manage the stress of top school.
    · Reply · Share
  • IvyGrad09IvyGrad09 235 replies5 threads Junior Member
    The house system at Yale provides a cozy home away from home social structure.

There are too many other compensations at Yale to list. Your intended program is fascinating.

Check out the basement of the science building; last time I was there they were showcasing international projects that intersected epidemiology, anthropolgy, and social justice.

Dude, you are so lucky!
    · Reply · Share
  • BlackNerd1015BlackNerd1015 50 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone!

To clarify somethings, I do want to go to grad school; PhD specifically and want to teach (I think why Yale snapped me up because of the dearth of minority faculty). Live an hour away from Yale so I can escape home; 2.5 hours from Dartmouth, 3 from Princeton, and Duke is a 2 hour flight and Rice is a 3 hour flight.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4190 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Perhaps I'm misconstruing what you meant about Yale snapping you up - but if you are interested in an academic career, undergrads are generally discouraged from going to grad school at the same place as undergrad, and very few schools hire their own Ph.Ds as tenure track faculty -- the point is that over a 10+ education (undergrad and Ph.D.) the student has been exposed to a range of approaches and styles, and brings something new to a different institution.

Yale admitted you because of your potential impact on the undergrad community and beyond, as an alum.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi Midwestmomofboys. What I meant is that Yale and other top institutions have specific programs to groom minority kids for tenure positions. I’ve been told that this is very attractive not because I can work for Yale but that Yale can be responsible for me. At least that’s what I interpreted it as!
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12812 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    Yale has the STARS program, which is to help develop research skills and experience in students from underrepresented groups in the sciences, technology, and mathematics: https://science.yalecollege.yale.edu/stars

There's also the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship program. This is a national network of programs that are at many colleges and universities across the country (the director is a Spelman alumna and current sociology professor at Spelman, and is the woman who inspired me to get a PhD :D) Mellon Mays is more geared towards the humanities and humanistic social sciences, like sociology and anthropology. https://yalecollege.yale.edu/student-services/funding-opportunities/mellon-mays-undergraduate-fellowship-program <- I think this program would be an excellent fit for you.

Duke, Princeton, Dartmouth, and Rice all also have this program there. Here's a list of member schools: http://www.mmuf.org/about/member-institutions

I was in a similar kind of program in undergrad, for mental health research. These are really excellent programs, and a big part of the reason I did persist onto get a PhD. Usually you are selected in your sophomore year and complete the program in your junior and senior years. You get structured mentoring and research support; classes in specialized research topics (methods, ethics, theory, etc.), and a support network of other minority scholars (and alumni!) who want the same thing as you (and this is regional and national - there are regional conferences you attend where you can meet other high-achieving minority students from different elite schools). Oh, and there's also a stipend - this freed me from having to work a part-time job and let me spend more time doing research, which is the intent. You also get funding for travel to conferences and to visit graduate institutions, and you hear about programs for minority scholars through the network.

MMUF is great because it also has graduate school benefits, as well:
    The MMUF program als...provides PhD-bound MMUF fellows with a targeted array of graduate initiatives, including conferences, writing seminars and grants designed to support fellows at critical junctures in graduate school. MMUF's support continues into fellows' postdoctoral careers with two events designed for MMUF PhDs: the SSRC's PhD Retreat and Woodrow Wilson's Junior Faculty Career Enhancement Fellowship program.

You should definitely find the MMUF director at whatever university you choose to attend and make friends :) But it is at all the schools you intend to apply to, so that's not a super significant factor in your choice.
    · Reply · Share
    I know of the Mellon Mays Program @juillet! I’m really interested in it; I’m up for a few scholarships to some of these schools so maybe if end all be all that can be my deciding factor.
    · Reply · Share
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 523 replies7 threads Member
    Congratulations! Please update this thread when you make your decision. Have you narrowed it down at all?
    · Reply · Share
    Really not really.....I like them all! I have to revisit
    · Reply · Share
    Revisited Duke (for a scholarship weekend; didn't get the scholarship) and visited Princeton. Didn't like the racial segregation and pervasive frat culture on campus. REALLY liked Princeton. I removed Rice despite them giving me a scholarship due to distance; I want to be closer. Duke is also out for me (my parents still want me to consider it). With Dartmouth i have concerns with frat culture and being in rural New Hampshire....effectively it's between Yale and Princeton.
    · Reply · Share
    And I meant I didn't like the frat culture and segregation on Duke's campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 523 replies7 threads Member
    Good update! As you have probably seen, there are many threads on Yale vs Princeton. Will you be attending Bulldog Days?
    · Reply · Share
    I will be attending Bulldog Days!!
    · Reply · Share
  • momcincomomcinco 1047 replies23 threads Senior Member
    Let us know how it goes! Two great options....
    · Reply · Share
  • massmom2018massmom2018 84 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Is it Yale for Princeton?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity