right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Just Want To Be Happy

BlackNerd1015BlackNerd1015 50 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
I recently was accepted to Yale University SCEA for the class of 2022 as an Ethnicity, Race, and Migration major. I'm extremely excited and blessed for this and would attend immediately save for two things:

1. My sister (class of 2018) goes there. I'm individualistic to a fault, and I don't want family friends saying "Aww how cute you went to your sister's school". I want to make a name for myself.

2. I like other schools better. I didn't apply to them early because they were all ED and I didn't want to be bound anywhere. I visited Rice through SOAR and really loved it, but my parents are worried that it's not at the same caliber and of distance (I live on the East Coast). The one worry I have about Rice is that housing is not guaranteed all 4 years. I'm also applying to Duke, Princeton, and Dartmouth.

As you can probably tell by my name, I am a geeky individual. Rather than huge ragers I'd prefer a quiet movie night or a nice Mafia game. I've also suffered from mental illness and thus students being happy and wholesome with a lot of support is very important to me. Do any of these schools 'vibe' with this description more than the others?

My prospective majors are African American Studies, History, Environmental Studies, and Sociology (clearly not all of them but it depends given the school and their offerings).

Thank you so much!!
38 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Just Want To Be Happy

• snarlatronsnarlatron 1594 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    students being happy and wholesome with a lot of support is very important to me
    You're going to find this more readily at LACs than Research Universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • guitar321guitar321 415 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 433 Member
    My suggestion is to talk to students at each school you are admitted to (every school will have student ambassadors, or reach out to people from your high school) and learn about their lives outside of school and outside of how they're advertising it on the website/tours. You'll have a better picture of your life there.
    · Reply · Share
  • Magician183Magician183 10 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Follow your heart, if you want to go to Yale, then go to Yale, who cares what other people will say. If Yale is not for you then go somewhere else, you are clearly smart enough to go anywhere. Only you can know what will be right for yourself. Personally, I suffer from a lot of anxiety so I am not applying to those top schools, because I know that they are not right for me. I am applying to middle tier schools, and I feel great about it. Apply to whatever school will make you feel good about being there.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3058 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,079 Senior Member
    If you have struggled with mental illness, then I would evaluate the schools on the professional support they can provide. And I understand why your parents would worry about Rice if it is so far away. Check out what different schools offer - limited to X number of counselor visits? unlimited support and 2/7 health center? You didn't give any real info on your needs, and you don't need to, but just keep the topic in mind.

Supportive students are nice but that's random and even in the nicest, laid back schools you can end up with drama in living situations or major. And in the most pressure cooker atmospheres you can find supportive, "we are in this together" students.

You do have advantage of having sister at Yale that should be able to give you honest feedback and who knows what you need.

There are kids like you at every school. Try to visit after you get acceptances (there are people who get in Yale who don't get in Duke, etc so you don't have all your choices yet).
    · Reply · Share
  • BlackNerd1015BlackNerd1015 50 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Hi intparent. While I think you make a fair point, and I am perfectly fine going to my sisters school (though wouldn’t prefer it) if it ends up being the right school for me, your delivery was a bit.....terse. I’d appreciate recommendations without digs at my maturity level. Thank you!!

Please note I may have been interpreting your delivery all wrong but that’s how it felt.
    · Reply · Share
  • BlackNerd1015BlackNerd1015 50 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it!

To snarlatron - I realize that LACs may be more suited for this description, but they are far too small for my personality....if that makes sense.

Also I come from a high pressure school so I’m not unfamiliar with that kind of environment. Really it’s more of finding the support I need.

To scmom12 - I was asking multiple sources about community health and counseling at each school so I have a *general* idea of each school. Rice appears to be the most conducive but obviously I don’t go there. And I hope I’m not sounding presumptuous with my school choices.....I know it’s a crap shoot.

I don’t want this to be a prestige thing as I wanna go where it’s best for me; I’m aware that all 5 schools are top 15.

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76129 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,792 Senior Member
    Would Duke and Dartmouth, with their heavy fraternity and sorority presence, be good social fits if you are not a big party type?

Anyway, you have the opportunity to see what affordable choices you have in April so that you can pick one then.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi intparent, I didn’t ignore what you said; I’m greatly appreciative of your input, I chose not to respond to it as I found it useful. Clearly it’s too late to really add anymore schools and have a quality application. Please don’t call me immature I was simply stating my issue with it. I respect your opinion though.

And not to sound defensive, I did feel at home at these 5 schools albeit for different reasons. I am confident in my schools. It’s just a matter of support networks. Thank you so much for your input!
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2292 replies126 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
    If you knew your sister was at Yale, why did you apply early decision? That was your first mistake. Now the only option is community college or a state university.
    · Reply · Share
    And I do think I may have misconstrued what I want. I enjoy vibrant and lively people. I’m an extrovert through and through, I just won’t really participate in huge frat parties. I’m not opposed to them however.
    · Reply · Share
    I am not quiet by any means lol
    · Reply · Share
    Hi NASA2014. Please note I didn’t apply ED to Yale; I applied SCEA which means I can apply to other places and make a decision in May.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36273 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,917 Senior Member
    If you knew your sister was at Yale, why did you apply early decision?

@NASA2014, they applied SCEA (which is a form of early action and is not binding). So they are fine in that regard.
    Clearly it’s too late to really add anymore schools and have a quality application.

There are certainly schools with later deadlines that are high quality and might be of interest to you. Carleton, for example, has 1/15 as a due date.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity