Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

US news ranking confusion

13»

Replies to: US news ranking confusion

• simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,261 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    simba9, would you care to share a few examples to support your claim?
    Endless complaints about the US News rankings from Michigan grads because they feel their school isn't ranked higher enough, and who then say we should look to equally irrelevant rankings that rank Michigan higher.

People always hail rankings that rank their schools well, and diss rankings that rank their schools poorly.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,697 Senior Member
    tk, financial aid is definitely the achilles heel for most public universities. For residents, cost of attendance is competitive, but for out of state students, there is much room for improvement although schools like Michigan, UNC and UVa have improved in recent years and will continue to improve in the coming years. That being said, I do not think that financial aid should determine a university's academic rating. It is misleading to rank a university of Cal or Michigan's stature out of the top 20 nationally. It is much sounder to assign a value rating without suppressing the academic ranking based on cost of attendance.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,697 Senior Member
    simba, I personally criticize all rankings, including those that happen to assign Michigan lofty rankings, like QS and the Times, which rank Michigan 12th and 15th in the US. If the methodology, data integrity and final outcome are questionable, I disregard the ranking. In my opinion, universities should be grouped in fairly broad groups rather than ranked. I don't see how even the most finely calibrated methodologies can distinguish between universities ranked within such close proximity.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 10,132 Super Moderator
    Here are the criteria and weights used to determine rankings: Graduation and Retention Rate 22.5%, Undergraduate Academic Reputation 22.5%, Faculty Resources for prior year 20%, Student Selectivity for prior year's freshmen class 12.5%, Financial Resources 10%, Alumni Giving 5%, Graduation Rate Performance 7.5%.
    Thank you for proving the logical response. Given that USNWR is quite open about their methodology, I don't know why so many are mystified by the reasons for one college ranking higher than another.

This thread is devolving into a critique of the rankings and has run its course.
This discussion has been closed.