Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I want to go to Emory University- am I a good candidate?

iniem1iniem1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi, I’m a current sophomore at a Catholic high school. I was wondering what type of college I could get into based off of the type of student that I am. My dream college is Emory.
So, so far I have only taken the PSAT once, and got a 1220.

Freshman year, my average overall was a 92.

This year, so far, my average is a 95.

My extracurricular activities:

Girl Scouts- I am currently in the process of receiving my gold award.

Drama Club

SALT- which is a program where students at my school do hours of volunteer work to serve the school’s events.

CROSS- A religious club where we travel to a nearby nursing home to talk to them about our faith.

Yearbook club

Health Sciences Club

Student Government- things like event planning

Jazz chorus

Model UN

Junior Volunteer at NYU Winthrop Hospital.

Finally, my parents are both immigrants, from Finland and Italy, and I can speak Italian. I just wanted to add that because I know being the child of an immigrant immersed in culture can boost your chances of getting in.

So, what I want to know is, will my low grade in freshman year really effect me? I am a very motivated student who wants to become a doctor, would I ever be able to get into Emory, or possible an even better school?

Thank you.

Replies to: I want to go to Emory University- am I a good candidate?

• nightstalker160nightstalker160 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I don't think it will... keep working hard in school - focus on your SAT and your ECs. Good luck - keep working. Emory was my son's dream school and he's now a freshman there - so it is possible!
This discussion has been closed.