Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I probably won't be accepted to UCLA, what should my safety school be?

muzzlesmuzzles Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
Hello Everyone!
I'll be attending Los Angeles City College this semester, I just transferred from Sacramento City College and I want to transfer into Business Economics at UCLA. I finished two semesters so far and I had to skip a semester because of family problems. My grades aren't stellar (my GPA is a 3.345 so far). I just barely got a C in Trigonometry and I think there is just no way I'll get accepted into UCLA. I'm not sure what school to apply for now, because that's the only one I cared about.

I want to continue living in the Southern California area, do you any of you have any recommendations for a CSU or any other Southern California university that has a good Economics program? Thanks!

Replies to: I probably won't be accepted to UCLA, what should my safety school be?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major can help you with the UCs.

Some of the CSUs in the LA area are not impacted or not that heavily impacted, so they should not be that hard to get into. Some may admit at baseline (2.0 college GPA, required course work passed) if you are in the local service area. See https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/degrees-certificates-credentials/Pages/impacted-degrees.aspx .
  • muzzlesmuzzles Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Hello Everyone!
    I'll be attending Los Angeles City College this semester, I just transferred from Sacramento City College and I want to transfer into Business Economics at UCLA. I finished two semesters so far and I had to skip a semester because of family problems. My grades aren't stellar (my GPA is a 3.345 so far). I just barely got a C in Trigonometry and I think there is just no way I'll get accepted into UCLA. I'm not sure what school to apply for now, because that's the only one I cared about.

I want to continue living in the Southern California area, do you any of you have any recommendations for any other Southern California university that has a good Economics program? Thanks!
    I've never seen that Cal State website before, thanks!
  • OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    For business economics, you have a shot at UCSD, UCSB, UCR, UCI https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

Some other colleges you could look into (though not too sure about GPA and they're pricy) are Occidental, Chapman, Pepperdine, Claremont McKenna, University of San Diego as they all have good economics programs.

In terms of CSUs, you could also look into CSU San Marcos, Cal Poly SLO, SDSU, CSULA, and others.

I don't know much about your "chances" for any of the ones besides the UCs nor do I know much about business economics but maybe this will help you.

• zettasyntaxzettasyntax Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, UCLA is crazy with biz econ, computer science, etc If you don't have a 3.9 GPA and are missing more than one major prep course, it's a pretty sure bet that you'd be rejected. It's definitely because the school is just so overcrowded. You could likely get into UCLA if you opted for a major that's not quite as impacted, but if economics is your passion, I understand that you might not want to settle for another major. I don't know a ton about the various CSU's, but I really like the looks of CSULB. I tried to transfer there three times (fall, spring, and fall), lol. By the third time, I was able to get into USC and I sorta lost interest in them :P but I'm applying for a masters program there. USC's PhD program for my major seems uber competitive, so I thought I should work on my masters first :) Have you considered USC at all? They seem far more holistic than the UC's (in my opinion) and they have an economics-only program if that's what you like.
    @zettasyntax Yeah, I really wanted to attend UCLA for Business Economics, but so much has happened to me in my first year of CC, that I've just lost hope. I considered looking at other majors, but I really only like Economics, I just find the study of the economy so interesting, I don't think I can do something like Accounting... but thanks for the tip. I did get accepted into CSULB from high school and I heard it's a great school for Economics so I am reconsidering it, but I wanted to try something different. I would love to go to USC!... but isn't that a super competitive school? Also, there isn't that many resources for transfers when it comes to USC, right?

By the way if you don't mind me asking, did you apply to go CSULB in your first year, like I don't understand how you applied three times, that's crazy! I wish I could persevere like that. Also, what major are you in? I hope you get accepted into the masters program, and if you did, congrats!
  • zettasyntaxzettasyntax Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    I understand. My first year of CC was pretty crazy. I didn't qualify for financial aid (no class fee waiver), so I was paying for my classes out of pocket. I only took like 3 classes my first year, so I don't like to count that year :P The next year, I'm suddenly eligible for financial aid and I'm finally a full-time student. I'm not even sure I remember why I was initially drawn to CSULB, but I felt like it was a good fit for me. USC is competitive, yes, but I honestly feel like they aren't as strict as UCLA with GPA requirements. Like if you complete the necessary prep courses, I could see you getting into their economics with a ~3.5 or so; it seems like you have a story that you can tell as well. Whereas a school as packed as UCLA is unlikely to give your application a second look if your GPA isn't in the range for such an impacted major. USC is pretty nice to their transfers, I'd say. Things like the Topping Scholarship are available to transfers. Also, there's tons of places/communities on-campus. I really liked the El Centro Chicano Center and even took part in their ethnic graduation ceremony. It was a great experience :-)

I applied to CSULB (and tons of other schools) for fall 2014 (when I first had enough units), spring 2015, and fall 2015. I ultimately wound up as a computational linguistics major. CSULB doesn't have such a major for undergrad, so I would have been a regular linguistics major had things not worked out with the other schools. Yeah, honestly I'm not sure what changed from 2014 to 2015. My GPA dipped slightly and I even had to withdraw from a class (W grade). Maybe USC and all of the other schools that rejected me like that I was trying again :) And thanks for the luck. Decisions aren't out for quite some time, but I would be happy to attend CSULB for my masters. The linguistics faculty seems great.
This discussion has been closed.