right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Best PNW school for serious, no-party introvert?

Replies to: Best PNW school for serious, no-party introvert?

• AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    For example, with Evergreen State College - yes, because it's a super-liberal college I'm sure lots of kids smoke marijuana on a regular basis. But if it has everything else that he wants (the flexible, open curriculum; the environmental studies; the laid-back student body) and he doesn't feel pressured to imbibe if he doesn't want to, it still might be a good fit. Maybe he should visit?

The school is definitely a niche institution - I would never tell anyone to go there without visiting and spending some quality time with the students.

Happy Evergreen students are actually pretty social -- there is a lot of group work in the curriculum. There's a lot of "do your own thing" from a non-conformity standpoint, but introverts may not find it to be quite their fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie 124 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    He was really interested in Evergreen, but the friend who got her Master's there said even many of her professors were stoned in class. Of course there will be different takes on this, I'm sure, but it really scared him off. (I'm kind of thinking of going back to school, though...:-D)
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie 124 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 late-blooming, formerly homeschooled/unschooled, third-year CC student.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41134 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,579 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    What about to Portland state? Older, commuter students. Virtually no partying.

out of the PNW, SUNY esf, Champlain, uvermont may be possible. He may also enjoy the exCo at Oberlin, Johnson center at URedlands, Hampshire?
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    @MYOS1634 thanks for the tip on Johnston center at Uni of Redlands (didn't know of it and we're not far from there).
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Yes, if he doesn't want dorm life, Portland State might be worth checking out. Is he OK with community college, or is he looking for a greater sense of on-campus community? There are dorms including an honors community, but it is still definitely a commuter campus.
    · Reply · Share
    @AroundHere he's currently in com. college (Calif.) and I think he'd be less inclined to choose PSU since it's downtown and lacks the immediate natural beauty that beckons him to the PNW. (Also, if he were to go the state college route, I sure hope he would choose one of our 23 state colleges and save some moola!)
    :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Studious99Studious99 888 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 911 Member
    @JeanJeanie PSU is very close to Forest Park and Tryon Creek park.
    · Reply · Share
  • CorbettCorbett 3434 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    I think he'd be less inclined to choose PSU since it's downtown and lacks the immediate natural beauty that beckons him to the PNW.
    Alternatively, consider the smaller and more rural "directional" state universities in Oregon: Western Oregon U, Eastern Oregon U, and Southern Oregon U.
    if he were to go the state college route, I sure hope he would choose one of our 23 state colleges and save some moola!
    PSU, WOU, EOU, and SOU all offer WUE tuition discounts to Californians (including transfers), and the total cost of attendance could actually be competitive with CSUs in some cases. For example:

Long Beach State, Estimated Cost of Attendance, Off-Campus Housing, CA Resident: $25,276
    https://www.csulb.edu/financial-aid/undergraduate-costs

Eastern Oregon University, Estimated Cost of Attendance with Room/Board, WUE Rate: $26,463
    https://www.eou.edu/fao/coa/

Southern Oregon University, Estimated Cost of Attendance, Off-Campus Housing, WUE Rate: $26,611
    https://inside.sou.edu/enrollment/financial-aid/budgets/index.html

Cal Poly SLO, Estimated Cost of Attendance, On/Off-Campus Housing, CA Resident: $27,225
    https://financialaid.calpoly.edu/coa1718.html

edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    I'm confused. He's an armchair environmentalist who isn't athletic but he now wants the great outdoors with only smoke free air. To look at?

Just because someone doesn't want to participate in sports or partying or student government or smoking pot doesn't mean he should look for a school that excludes all those things. If you could clone your son and have 2000 people just like him at a school, would you (or he) want to be there? Part of college is to experience people who aren't just like you, who have other interests and views. It's nice to know there is an orchestra even if you don't play the violin. he should focus on the things he wants at a college and not worry about the things he isn't interested in.

I can't image a more pot smoky place than Reed.
    · Reply · Share
  • CorbettCorbett 3434 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    if he were to go the state college route, I sure hope he would choose one of our 23 state colleges and save some moola!
    There is a strong case that Humboldt State is culturally and geographically within the PNW. But politically, it's within California, so you would qualify for in-state tuition.

Estimated cost of attendance for CA residents, with room & board: $24,270
    https://www.humboldt.edu/cost
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41134 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,579 Senior Member
    ^ You should go visit Humboldt State or Evergreen :)
    · Reply · Share
  • NolaCARNolaCAR 260 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    Willamette might suit your son well. It has less of a reputation for drugs than some of the other schools that have been mentioned. (Even if you don't imbibe, it's not very fun when all of your dorm mates want to party and aren't interested in engaging in after hours activities that don't involve drugs.)

It has a school forest and a school farm just outside of Salem and students can join the farm club (unless that's too much "outdoors" for him). With the Capitol being across the street from the campus, many students are social justice/environmental justice minded. For instance, 3 days ago there was an offshore drilling protest at the Capitol which several students attended.
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 1968 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,994 Senior Member
    Check out Pacific Lutheran, located near Tacoma. He'd fit in beautifully. Agree with Willamette as well.
    · Reply · Share
    @Corbett I did not know that about OR schools offering discounts to CA students, thanks! I'm well acquainted with Humboldt as it was on my list at that age (though, unlike my kid, I was more than happy to partake in the party scene there!). :)

@NolaCAR, thanks! We read the chapter about Willamette in CTCL and pondering a visit this Spring. He is quite involved with his CC's environmental science/ecology club and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in their community garden.

@calla1 Thanks. Will take a look!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity