right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Can i get into top 10 engineering programs with my credentials ?

judgegreggjudgegregg 26 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member

Currently in Junior year aiming for 2019 college admission
SAT:1540 (Math:800, Reading:740)
GPA: 3.88 (unweighted)
AP: 6
SATII: Math:800, Physics:800
EC's: Math, UN

Haven't settled on a specific engineering major yet but want to pursue EE,ME,AE,BME for now

What are my chances of getting into top 10 engineering programs ?

Thanks for your feedback
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can i get into top 10 engineering programs with my credentials ?

• blevineblevine 851 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 880 Member
    On grades/test scores absolutely. But your EC sounds light as described.
    Did you win awards in Model UN ? Committee chair or president of the club ?
    What did you do in Math EC, win competitions or just a member ?
    Those things will make a huge difference.

One of my kids was trying to get into top schools like Caltech, MIT etc.
    He was also an athlete which was thought of as another intense EC that shows you can
    handle more than just your homework (time management skills).
    The coach from Caltech, after watching him play his sport asked what EC activities besides sports do you have ?
    When he heard my son was in robotics and won competitions, he lit up and said "that's what we look for".

Almost every kid at Caltech has your stats, but they may have better EC depending on your specifics.
    But certainly with those numbers they will read your essays and want to know more about you.
    You have to tell a good story once you have their attention.
    · Reply · Share
  • judgegreggjudgegregg 26 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    thank you.
    i do have other EC's probably the notable one is i have earned 2 black belts in Taekwondo. In addition, i do play leadership roles in the clubs.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gator88NEGator88NE 6397 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,592 Senior Member
    You have great stats, but so do a lot of other students. You're competitive, but many of the top 10 programs are fairly small and super competitive, which make them reaches for everyone. You should apply, but apply to a few, and also to some matches and safeties.

Several of the top 10 schools are state public universities. It's helps if you're an in-state student (Georgia Tech, UM-Ann Arbor, etc.). Also, if you expand your list to a "top 20", several great schools become available that are less selective than many in a top 10 list. Nothing wrong with an engineering degree from TAMU or Virginia Tech!

You may also want to consider schools where the highest degree is a Bachelor's or Masters. Such as Rose-Hulman, Harvey Mudd, Cooper Union, Olin, etc, all of which have advantages over the big name schools.

Good Luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18314 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    GPA below admission average for UMich CoE and their OOS admission rate is below 20%. It is possible but the chance is not high.
    · Reply · Share
  • prezbuckyprezbucky 4317 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,328 Senior Member
    These are the schools with the top 10 undergrad Engineering programs -- universities -- according to US News:

1. MIT
    2. Stanford
    3. Berkeley
    4. Caltech, Georgia Tech
    6. Illinois, Michigan
    8. Carnegie Mellon, Purdue
    10. Cornell

And these are the rest of the top 25:
    11. Princeton, Texas
    13. Northwestern
    14. Hopkins, Texas A&M, VA Tech, Wisconsin
    18. Columbia, UCLA
    20. UCSD, Duke, Penn State, Rice, Washington
    25. Harvard, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn, USC

Chances:
    MIT - Reach
    Stanford - Reach
    Berkeley OOS - Low reach
    GA Tech OOS - Low reach
    Illinois OOS - Match
    Michigan OOS - Low reach
    CMU - Reach
    Purdue OOS - Match/low match
    Cornell - Reach

Princeton - Reach
    Texas OOS - Low reach
    Northwestern - Reach
    Hopkins - Reach/low reach
    Texas A&M OOS - Match/low match
    VA Tech OOS - Match/low match
    Wisconsin OOS - Match
    Columbia - Reach
    UCLA OOS - Low reach
    UCSD OOS - High match
    Duke - Reach
    PSU OOS - Match/low match
    Rice - Reach/low reach
    Washington OOS - Match
    Harvard - Reach
    Maryland OOS - Match/low match
    Minnesota OOS - Match/low match
    Penn - Reach
    USC - Low reach

As you can see, there's a pretty good mix of selectivity among the schools with the top-25 Engineering programs. If you are in-state for one (or more, if CA) of the state schools, your chances increase.
    · Reply · Share
  • judgegreggjudgegregg 26 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    thanks prezbucky, it's helpful
    · Reply · Share
  • Penn95Penn95 2283 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,361 Senior Member
    @prezbucky I dont think the USNews undergraduate engineering rankings are of any value. they are just based on a reputation survey and nothing else substantial. The graduate school rankings are quite more substantial in that regard and i think most people use those to gauge departmental strength.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2233 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,237 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    The US News grad rankings for engineering are pretty much the same for undergrad, and the same set of colleges show up in other rankings as well for top engineering schools. Here are the top-20 graduate engineering programs:

MIT
    Stanford
    Berkeley
    Cal Tech
    CMU
    Michigan
    Ga Tech
    Purdue
    Illinois
    UT
    Texas A&M
    USC
    Columbia
    Cornell
    UCSD
    UCLA
    Princeton
    Wisconsin
    JHU, Northwestern, UCSB, Penn (four way tie for 19th)

I'm not a big fan of US News rankings for undergrad as colleges can manipulate the criteria (ED, fudging alumni contributions, telling lower stats kids to enroll in the spring). And grad school rankings tend to focus more on outcomes (starting salary) and peer reputation, in addition to incoming stats of the students.

edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • prezbuckyprezbucky 4317 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,328 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    It's hard to find undergrad program rankings, so when I see them I'm all gangbusters about it. haha

I think grad school rankings shouldn't necessarily be used as proxies for undergrad rankings. For instance, if a school is #1 at the grad level, that doesn't mean it is #1 at the undergrad level. I will say, it's probably at least pretty decebt, or has strong potential to be.

But a question that's occurred to me is that if a school is spending a lot of time developing grad-level prestige, are they putting as much into the undergrads? Are the top profs teaching the undergrads, or just the grads? At a school like Princeton, Brown or Dartmouth I don't really have that concern quite so much because for elite private universities, they are fairly undergrad-focused. But when a school is under 50% undergrad, I wonder who's getting the best of the faculty and most of the administration's attention.

That isn't to say there aren't enough quality profs to teach at all levels, and rich schools can splurge in multiple departments and on multiple levels, but where a school's reputational bread is buttered is what matters to it most, and when I see a high grad ranking -- yeah, in 400+-level classes the undergrads might receive the benefit of rubbing elbows with their grad counterparts, granted -- I wonder if that quality trickles down, and to what extent. (and how on earth we'd quantify it)
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18314 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    There are many rankings available like Barron's, Forbes, Money, Times HE, etc. They are not hard to find.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity