Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Help Me Find A College

2»

Replies to: Help Me Find A College

• inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    @ShoutTurkey, you said you lean left..DC tends to lean left (regardless of who is in charge of the government) though I don't know about Georgetown itself...
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 5,217 Senior Member
    At the risk of bringing up the obvious: You need to run the NPC on each of the schools that you are considering, and show the results to your parents. "Top 20%" does not make it easy to pay for university.
  • ShoutTurkeyShoutTurkey Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    @inthegarden That's not it. I'm more concerned about threats from North Korea. I'm probably overthinking it though.

@DadTwoGirls My parents said they have just enough to afford an undergraduate at WashU (which I believe is the most expensive college I'm looking at).
  • jamesk2014jamesk2014 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    throw in smu for the merit money if you are also looking at tulane. met a fair amount of people who were between the two.
  • TS0104TS0104 Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    Other colleges on our list you may want to look at: U of Richmond, William and Mary, (check culture/waspiness of the latter). One thing I am advising my son is that if you have an idea of what you want to go into and/or where you want to live post grad, recruiting and job offers will be more skewed towards the local area of the university. So if you def. want poli sci, you'd have more intership/recruitment opportunities at Georgetown for example. I don't think this should be the deciding factor, because college is also a great time to explore a new geographical area for 4 years, but it's just something to consider. Be picky! You should! And yes absolutely consider cost if you are going to grad school for sure. If your parents will take any leftover undergrad funds and put them towards your grad school, that's HUGE. Save yourself as much student debt as possible. With your high score you could get good some merit aid from some schools.
  • NomorelurkerNomorelurker Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    edited March 2018
    Given your stats, you have a decent shot at $30,000 merit from Tulane, but you must show interest, i.e., tour there and interview there, express enthusiasm for NOLA! That would leave $$$ for law school and checks the boxes of warm climate and left leaning, fun city. WashU also is big on demonstrated interest but will not provide that kind of merit unless you apply for one of their scholarships and get it. George Washington University in D.C. is expensive but well known for their Elliot School of International Affairs. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.