right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Looking to add matches or safeties to my son's list

13»

Replies to: Looking to add matches or safeties to my son's list

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 41138 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,583 Senior Member
    @qow100 : American employers can't be expected to know all programs. However a mention on the resume, next to the university's name, that CS/AI+Machine Learning is top 3 in the world would suffice to inform any employer who's not heard of it that they should ;). Major companies will know of the program as the students are heavily recruited even before graduation (as are Watterloo's). It's true that for Edinburgh the university's reputation won't help in the US so for some programs it'd make getting internships in the US harder, but for CS especially the AI option I doubt that'd be a problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • qow100qow100 25 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    @MYOS1634 you might be right about it’s rankings and strength of program, but having to explain things on a resume like that to potential employers is never a good thing. Although Edinburgh is a UK school (which are usually pretty cheap) it’s international fees are not cheap. OP would be better off going to a state school as the opportunities in the US would be about the same. They could stay close to home, save money and be in about the same situation post graduation. People traditionally come to the US for the best education and post graduation opportunities. Going overseas after you already have American opportunities is a step in the wrong direction. That’s just my take on it. I contemplated going overseas last year as I thought it’d be a good deal but looking further into it I realized it wasn’t really a great option.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41138 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,583 Senior Member
    ^ It's not necessarily a good deal but for a student who doesn't want gen eds or distribution requirements, Canada and the UK are great choices. (All state schools will have requirements,, except Echols at UVA, but it's not urban and not NE/ east coast). So, within the parameters of urban+no gen eds, Waterloo, Imperial, Edinburgh, and Oxbridge are the gold standard. It all depends whether for op's son along the two parameters (NE v. No gen eds) Trump's the other. These parameters are very different from yours last year.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity