right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Son has some amazing choices...but

Replies to: Son has some amazing choices...but

• alooknacalooknac 1281 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,296 Senior Member
    I admit I haven't read every post, so excuse me if this has been mentioned:

I would not accept as set in stone that he's not going to grad school, in case that affects how the finances and/or opportunities shake down. Lots can change in the next few years including choice of major, as unlikely as it may seem. And he could decide to go for his master's later, not necessarily immediately after graduating.
    · Reply · Share
  • hebegebehebegebe 2647 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    Big data was practically invented at Google when a couple of their engineers had to come up with a way for Google to monetize web clicks which couldn't be done with current technology, at least cheaply.
    Sure, but now that it is a company of tens of thousands of people, most engineers are cogs in the machine, working on a little piece of the overall machinery, not designing the machine itself.
    Also, the five best CS programs in the country are Stanford, CMU, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley and all their CS grads either want to go to Google or start the next Google, not consulting or finance.
    I agree that many want to start the next Google. And certainly some want to work there. But a good percentage of the grads I know have no interest for the reason I gave above. Perhaps we travel in different circles.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41138 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,583 Senior Member
    Thanks for the update. And, wow!
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    From the OP
    Finally is the financial considerations in his choice. He has a FL prepaid fund which after running the NPC would essentially pay for his COA at the Ivy graduating with zero debt. At UF he would have the FL prepaid, bright futures and Benacquisto scholarship which means not only would he graduate with zero debt but likely somewhere between $60-70K in the bank.
    With Stanford's great financial aid(and CS reputation) it would be hard for him to say no even as a walk on if accepted academically.

I haven't read all 10 pages, but did see these in the first fewpages.

My understanding is you get either the Benacquisto or Bright Futures, not both.

Once he's a PWO at Stanford, there is no great financial aid. PWO get no financial aid. If they could do that, the coach could just give the 85 scholarships to the rich kids and let the rest of the team get need based FA. No, the NCAA could see right through that plan. They might (but I don't think so) be eligible for merit aid, but there is none at Stanford. Other schools are VERYVERYVERY careful about aid to athletes. The PWO get nothing at most schools, but they can now eat with the team and can get the benefits when traveling with the team. PWOs are eligible for a Pell grant or SEOG but that's about it.

There is also a limit to stacking at D1 football. The players can get a stipend or Pell, but not both.

Your FPP is, of course, yours and if you don't use it for college can take it as a 529 withdrawal during school or after. I don't know if the total would be $70k; that really depends on your plan.

If money will be a factor, I'd sit down with the NCAA coordinator at any school before accepting. They'll be able to tell you what you can accept and what you can't. The coaches won't know the nitty gritty. The people at UF should be able to tell you whether he can get anything more than the Benacquisto (maybe local OUTSIDE scholarships, but most likely nothing from UF itself). There also might be a restriction on getting money back, so if you use the FPP and want to get a refund of Benacquisto, that might be disallowed by the NCAA. They will apply FPP first if you use FPP for that term.

· Reply · Share
  • moscottmoscott 890 replies108 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 998 Member
    http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/factsheets/FIS.pdf

You would use the Benacquisto and get a refund on FPP. As for Stanford PWO means no athletic money. For FA Stanford offers free tuition for any family that makes $125,000 or less.....room and board would be covered by FPP and outside scholarships but at this point Stanford hasn't offered.
    · Reply · Share
    For clarification...PWO means a guaranteed roster spot(which involves all activities of other players) but just no athletic money. Still same access to training, practice, facilities, locker, equipment etc...
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 4950 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,011 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Folks. Many of you don’t understand how good a school UF has become over the years. It is a top 10 us public and top 50 USNWR. There are many Vals sals and nmf is the student body. The honors program is filled with 35 act and 1500 sat students as well. Even the regular uf kid is a star in their school. It’s more like UCLA unc and Michigan than what you may be comparing it to. The scholarships and excess cash are valuable.

And everyone is comparing to Harvard and Princeton or Yale. If those are the choices. Sure. It if it’s D B C or C. no way. Penn maybe.

A better alumni network than uf. Other than h and p it is just not accurate. It’s a popular belief. It would appear that way to those who have no part of either uf or non hpys alumni groups. Quite frankly ut Auburn etc have really loyal networks. Uf isn’t that loyal but gator nation is a thing. The kind that get you jobs kind of thing.

And I would strongly challenge “the look at all the money the Ivy League cs kid will make” over the uf honors kid. It’s heresay and supposition. No facts I can find on that in any way.
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    https://informedathlete.com/athletic-scholarships-financial-aid-issues/

From another source:

"Non-Athletically Related Aid

In sports other than football and basketball, student-athletes who do not receive an athletic scholarship can receive non-athletically related aid without restriction. In football and basketball, to maximize the amount of non-athletic aid an athlete can receive, they must be non-recruited under the NCAA’s definition.

If an athlete is recruited and plays football or basketball, he or she may not receive institutional financial aid without becoming a counter and counting against the scholarship limits. Outside aid like federal Pell grants or state grants would be allowed, but the athlete could not receive any of the need and even academic aid a school offers.

To be a recruited athlete but still meet the definition of nonrecruited, athletes should focus their recruiting efforts with the coaching staff around phone calls and unofficial visits. If you let the coaching staff know you are interested in walking on provided you can get other aid, they will be careful to not change your status as recruited vs. nonrecruited. Also apply early and get your financial aid information like the FAFSA to the school as soon as possible to maximize the amount of aid you are eligible for."
    ____
    It's just my understand of how financial aid works once you are a 'counter' for a sport. If you get FA, it counts toward the team max of 85 scholarships and the teams will be out of compliance. If all 30-50 walk ons at Stanford got need based financial aid, the team would be giving out 115+ scholarships.

I believe that if you use the FPP, the school will apply it first to the bill. That makes the BF/Benacquisto refundable, and thus makes it possibly taxable income as a scholarship not used for tuition, fees, books.. If you don't 'use' the FPP, you can then apply for a refund from FPP and it will be as if you are getting a 529 withdrawal. Most people are finding it best not to use FPP if they have BF or Benacq., and just take the withdrawal.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 1944 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,981 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Urgh, editing because I posted without realizing I'd only read the first of *many* pages of posts - nevermind!
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • AlexandreAlexandre 24266 replies431 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,697 Senior Member
    privatebanker, Florida has been excellent ever since I can remember, particularly in the STEM fields. What separates Michigan from Florida are resources and opportunities.
    · Reply · Share
  • madredosmadredos 230 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Just throwing it out that if your son is considering UF, see if he can get his school’s Lombardi nomination. That can make UF even more alluring with summer travel and additional scholarship money. Also keep in mind that Robertson has pretty specific summer requirements which might interfere with football. Congrats to your son. I have 2 non athlete kids who turned down Stanford for full rides at state unis and never looked back. Something tells me your son will be okay. Happy Father’s Day!
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you @madredos...I will certainly look into that.
    · Reply · Share