Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Son has some amazing choices...but

Replies to: Son has some amazing choices...but

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,663 Senior Member
    Officially, NCAA athletes are supposed to spend no more than 20 hours per week on athletic activities, but it is generally believed, and sometimes lawsuited, that the actual time commitment is more like 40+ hours per week during the season. 12 credits of college courses would add another 36 hours per week of work. If the football team has few players in high work majors, there may be greater peer pressure to increase athletic time at the expense of school work time.

In terms of the AP credit at UF, take a look at the course plan:
    https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/engineering/majors/computer-science.aspx#sp
    and compare with the AP credit:
    https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/advising/info/AP-examination-credit-info.aspx
    to see how much the AP credit will really reduce his course work load.

Many students find that large amounts of AP credit may be less useful than they thought, since a collection of frosh level courses that one is exempt from with AP credit may not help that much with specific subject requirements.

Also, explore the prerequisite relationships of the CS courses to see how much freedom there is to move higher workload courses to spring semesters, when the football workload would be lower.

Also pay attention to the renewal criteria for the UF academic scholarship.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    Which Ivy has another dimension: find out how much slack student athletes are given. At least one has a rep for not giving any quarter- you fit your training / practice schedule, and your games around academic obligations, not the other way around.

• citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 2,637 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    At FL isn't there a greater chance he will be sitting on the bench? I would take the Ivy personally, but it's his choice

Also, I remember that I read that playing Div 1 football is pretty much being an employee of the school.
  • 10s4life10s4life Forum Champion UCLA Posts: 2,111 Forum Champion
    The 60-70k left over will give him a huge leg up in the long run. It is unlikely that if he sticks with CS the Ivy League education will be any better. Just note that CS is very hard with a d1 football schedule. Most of my friends that play football at Ucla are humanities based majors. However the opportunity to play in the FBS is awesome and there are a lot of opportunities that come with being a non ivy D1 athlete. My vote is UF. The school spirit will mak the time unforgettable.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,664 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    ^ DivI revenue sport + CS is tough.

On the other hand, Dan Kreft pulled off being a EE major at Northwestern while playing in the Big Ten:
    https://****/in/dkreft

He's pretty hilarious too:

http://the.kreft.net/home/
  • jamesk2014jamesk2014 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    take the ivy institution - as a walk on odds are he won't play and that's not fair to him. It won't be like high school he will get recruited over. Gotta be realistic for better or worse - and beware a d1 fbs coach they are salesman. Now if it was a top 25 school like duke, stanford, northwestern, vanderbilt, rice, or maybe usc (they are top 30 i think) that is a different conversation
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    @kalons It's not the amount of people watching per say....it's a completely different atmosphere and animal being the SEC vs Ivy sports as far as fan spirit, facilities etc...especially for someone wanting to play at the highest level they've earned. @melvin123 is correct. He would like to go pro if possible but that isn't a consideration at this point. @PurpleTitan The reason it is a preferred walk on(guaranteed roster spot not just a walk on) is because his academic scholarship would save UF using a football scholarship not because of ability. He is a junior so the possibility of other schools as Stanford, Vandy, Duke etc..could still happen.
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    As to the core issue he is facing, how does he get past the feeling of missing out regardless of which decision he makes?
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,370 Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, does he play a high profile position, or is he a defensive player who may not get noticed as frequently by the 85K viewers? And will he be first string?
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    As a junior, isn't it also possible that he won't be admitted to the Ivy? Does he have to make a decision before knowing whether he will receive the likely letter / preread?
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    @kalons I think @moscott is referring to the life experience of walking out into a stadium with 85000 people screaming, on TV, getting to travel. It is a legitimate life experience most of us never get the option to have. So I don’t think it is ridiculous.

I just wonder if as a walk on he’ll get to play much, and if not, will he regret the choice is all.

My S is a CS major, sophomore. He is super busy. it is very time consuming as a major. Perhaps a chat with some college athletes about their time vs majors might help.
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,585 Senior Member
    As a Gator Alumni, would posting a response be considered an NCAA recruiting violation? :-??

He will be able to carry 45 credits (that's the limit). My daughter, who is a current Industrial Engineering major, only took 12 or 13 credits a semester (no summers classes, she interned), and she will graduate on time. It's very doable. Especially if he stays at UF over the summer and takes 1 or 2 classes (while working out).
    UF is full ride academic scholarship so Fl PP would let him finish with about 60-70K after 4years. Ivy is about $16K per yer but the FL prepaid would cover that.
    Did you purchase the plan with 4 years of room and board (and the additional fees)? Keep in mind, that based on the date you purchased the plan, the Differential fee may not be covered. Tuition (and fees - the differential fee) would be about $4,500 a year, so that would end up (with R&B) to be a bit less than $16K. Still not bad! :-bd

If you want more info on UF's CS program, reach out to Dr. Juan E. Gilbert (Chair of the department). He's very approachable. Perhaps you can schedule a visit?

https://www.cise.ufl.edu/people/faculty/jgilbert

I don't have any special insight into the walk-on process, but I think other posters in this thread are under the mistaken belief that walk-on players don't play on game day. Div1 programs are limited in the number of scholarships they can offer, lose scholarship players to injury and transfers, so often have walk on players fill in those gaps. Judging talent can be difficult, and many players are late bloomers. Every year UF awards a scholarship or two to walk-on players, and walk on players can get substantial playing time.

Cristian Garcia, last year played significant time at linebacker.
    http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10250&path=football

Here's a recent article on two twin brother's (both Accounting majors, which is as challenging a major at UF as CS), that walked on at UF.
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20161123/walking-on-some-only-practice-some-run-to-football-glory
    A college football program’s “walk-on” players rarely hit it big, but all they want is a chance.
    One year later, the Nordmans found themselves on the receiving end of the thunderous ovation.
    “There are 90,000 people in the stands that wish they were in our position,” said Charles Nordman. “I’m just thankful to have the opportunity.”