Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Son has some amazing choices...but

moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
DS can't get past the feeling of missing out no matter which choice he makes. He is a recruited football player with high academic stats 4.0 gpa 4.56wgpa 35 ACT National Merit . Up until recently he had been pretty intent on attending an Ivy league school but now he is also getting interest from some FBS schools as well. More specifically the possibility of being offered a preferred walk on at UF has been presented as well as a possible likely letter at an Ivy. So here is where he feels he may be missing out no matter his decision. If he goes to UF honors he will be able to play at the highest level of football with 85,000 fans each week as well as the benefits of high academics on a full ride academic scholarship. If he goes the Ivy route it will still be a high level for football but may be missing out on a much higher academic college full of peers with unbelievable alumni connections. He has visited both and always been drawn to the Ivy atmosphere academically and would ideally prefer to leave the state for college. Finally is the financial considerations in his choice. He has a FL prepaid fund which after running the NPC would essentially pay for his COA at the Ivy graduating with zero debt. At UF he would have the FL prepaid, bright futures and Benacquisto scholarship which means not only would he graduate with zero debt but likely somewhere between $60-70K in the bank. He will be majoring in CS and will not be going for a master's after his bachelor's degree so no worries about paying for grad school.

He understands the differences in what would be expected at the different schools as far as football demands and would have more resources and flexibility available at the Ivy as far as tutors and scheduling of classes but then UF has vastly superior athletic facilities which is a big draw for kids. Lastly would be the AP credits that could be used at UF as opposed to the Ivy school. He "could" enter UF with between 45- 60 credits and the Benacquisto only requires 12 credit hours per semester which would help alleviate the football time demand coupled with a CS major. So in conclusion he feels he either will be sacrificing playing football at the highest level(with $ in the bank) to go to a dream school or sacrificing attending a dream school (debt free)and much higher CS program to play football at the FBS level.

Replies to: Son has some amazing choices...but

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,728 Senior Member
    At each school, what percentage of football players will be in high work majors?
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    Where would he play more?
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    @ucbalumnus Ivy
    @luckybooth Ivy
    @HRSMom There are no guarantees but likely the Ivy. Again big difference between playing on national tv each week in front of 85,000 as opposed to 12,000 and no bowl games with little travel. He truly loves both so giving up the dream of playing at the highest level is tough to let go of. He's worked hard to get into a top academic school but he's worked as hard or harder to get to the top level for football as well.
  • 4junior4junior Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    Wife of someone who choose poorly years ago in this scenario: choose it for the school.
    I guess my point was would it be better to play little in front of 85000 people? Or more in front of 12000? That would seem to be the football question. Then if that answer is UF, then measure up acedemics vs the football.

For me, I’d go where I could play more, but he may think he can get equal time or do better at UF. It is a hard choice for a kid. I’d do H, but it is his choice. I’d encourage him to look beyond the TV and crowds and look at what it means day to day.
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    No bad choices here. I'd just let him figure it out and choose on his own.
    @HRSMom Absolutely but you have to remember not only for football but the difference at UF in school spirit and vibe as well as top of the line athletic facilities can't be matched. I'm not sure how much the gap is closed by being in the UF honors vs Ivy academically but you have to remember that 60-70K is tough to ignore. My vote goes to Ivy but this is his decision.
    So UF is paid but H is full price? Ouch. Makes the decision even harder!
  • My5KiddosMy5Kiddos Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    What Ivy?

Does he want to go pro?
    @HRSMom UF is full ride academic scholarship so Fl PP would let him finish with about 60-70K after 4years. Ivy is about $16K per yer but the FL prepaid would cover that.

@My5Kiddos More than 1 and sure he would "want" to go pro but not even a consideration at this point.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 5,215 Senior Member
    One question: How much time would he need to commit to football if he was at UF versus at the Ivy? I am thinking that football at UF is a huge time commitment.

However, CS is not an easy major. I recall (many years ago) a few all-nighters getting a computer program to work bug-free. This might not be fully compatible with football practices. I am guessing that students probably still sometimes write bugs into their computer software.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 1,415 Senior Member
    To clarify, either way he would have zero debt, but with UF he would have leftover 60-70k from the college fund (or from a stipend)? What is the annual net price at the Ivy?

Will there be a significant difference between the schools in football's time impact on studying?
    @DadTwoGirls The time commitment to football would be higher at UF but since he would start with 45-60 credits he could still be considered full time only taking 12 credits each semester. That said from what I understand the Ivy schools have tutors that are major specific that are available to football players at all times including road trips.
    @evergreen5 Correct...zero debt for both but 60-70K left over for him at UF. Net price for Ivy is $16k per year which the FL prepaid would cover.