Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

RIce vs Amherst

CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 894 Member
edited April 2018 in College Search & Selection
Ones who are familiar with both, would you mind giving your opinion about which one would you pick given a choice and why?

Replies to: RIce vs Amherst

• hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,678 Senior Member
    Rice. Stunning campus. Happiest students. Not in the boonies. For those interested in medicine, world's largest medical complex across the street.
  • Sunny66Sunny66 Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Both great schools @CupCakeMuffins No wrong choice unless one is substantially more money. Agree with @hebegebe on Rice. Also much better weather and no (real or perceived) divide between athletes and non-athletes. Based on your other posts that Amherst is big stretch $ wise/borderline unaffordable, if Rice is giving your kid substantial $, the clear answer is Rice. Our Salutatorian went to Rice (we are not in Texas) last year and loves it. Smaller student body also provides a lot of advantages that LACs have.
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 894 Member
    My kid has moved on with a mature grace, doesn't want to stretch our finances. I'm still mentally stuck with guilt. When is the deadline? 5 pm?
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    You wrote in another thread
    He is interested in social sciences and humanities but as a gifted overacchiever, very strong in sciences as well. Undecided at this point but wants to do at least double major and if possible some fun minor as well. No pre-professional aspirations. Education and enlightenment along with ability to make a decent living and being able to help others are among life's goals.

He sounds like such a Rice kid. Let us know what he decides!
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    @CupCakeMuffins

So what did your son decide?
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 894 Member
    edited May 2018
    I can't disclose name of the school for privacy reasons (naively i posted too much information on this forum) but we are relieved admission phase is finally over. Thank you for every poster's input, you've been very nice and supportive. Lets say a collective prayer for safety and success of all students embarking upon a new journey, picking school was just first piece of their puzzle.
This discussion has been closed.