right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Athletics vs good college

awesome7awesome7 41 replies24 threads Junior Member
I’m a rising senior & I want to be a pediatrician but I’m not sure what type of undergrad college I should attend. I have decent grades (Top 10% out of 800+) to easily get me into a good state college like A&M ...but I would love to play basketball in college which I’d probably have to go to a D2 or D3 school to do. I love basketball but I don’t want to go to a worse college and end up not getting into med school. What should I do/consider?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Athletics vs good college

• happy1happy1 23831 replies2384 threads Super Moderator
    A D2 or D3 school is not by definition a lesser academic school. Seek to find the right blend of sports and academics. It might be playing club basketball at a school like A&M or it might be finding a smaller school with strong academics where you can play on the team. Keep in mind that if you are a serious pre-med student the course of study will be rigorous so club team or a D2 or D3 team may be a good answer.
    · Reply · Share
  • CorbettCorbett 3434 replies4 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Many small private colleges combine high-powered academics and Division III athletics. Such schools are less common in Texas than in some other parts of the country, but consider (for example) Trinity University in San Antonio, with an enrollment of about 2500. Compare their SAT and ACT ranges to the top state flagships:

SATs (CR+M, 25%-75% range):
    TAMU: 1070 - 1310
    Trinity: 1160 - 1370
    UT Austin: 1140 - 1410

ACTs (Composite, 25% - 75% range):
    TAMU: 24 - 30
    Trinity: 27 - 31
    UT Austin: 26 - 32

So the academic standards are quite comparable. However, it's probably going to be a lot easier to make the basketball team at Trinity (which plays in the D3 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference) than at TAMU (SEC) or UT (Big 12).

Small private colleges often do very well at placing graduates into medical schools. Trinity claims 90% medical school placement for students with a 3.6 or better GPA.
    https://new.trinity.edu/academics/departments/advising-programs/pre-medical-and-health-professions
    edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24559 replies19 threads Senior Member
    D2 schools aren't always lesser in academics. Colorado School of Mines is D2.

What are you planning on studying?
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2885 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Academics comes before sports. Plus, if you're planning to go to medical school, it's very difficult to maintain a top GPA while traveling for basketball games. I would go all in at Texas A&M. They have a huge student gym there with a basketball court. Grab a ball and a few friends and play.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity