Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Athletics vs good college

awesome7awesome7 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
I’m a rising senior & I want to be a pediatrician but I’m not sure what type of undergrad college I should attend. I have decent grades (Top 10% out of 800+) to easily get me into a good state college like A&M ...but I would love to play basketball in college which I’d probably have to go to a D2 or D3 school to do. I love basketball but I don’t want to go to a worse college and end up not getting into med school. What should I do/consider?

Replies to: Athletics vs good college

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,467 Forum Champion
    A D2 or D3 school is not by definition a lesser academic school. Seek to find the right blend of sports and academics. It might be playing club basketball at a school like A&M or it might be finding a smaller school with strong academics where you can play on the team. Keep in mind that if you are a serious pre-med student the course of study will be rigorous so club team or a D2 or D3 team may be a good answer.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Many small private colleges combine high-powered academics and Division III athletics. Such schools are less common in Texas than in some other parts of the country, but consider (for example) Trinity University in San Antonio, with an enrollment of about 2500. Compare their SAT and ACT ranges to the top state flagships:

SATs (CR+M, 25%-75% range):
    TAMU: 1070 - 1310
    Trinity: 1160 - 1370
    UT Austin: 1140 - 1410

ACTs (Composite, 25% - 75% range):
    TAMU: 24 - 30
    Trinity: 27 - 31
    UT Austin: 26 - 32

So the academic standards are quite comparable. However, it's probably going to be a lot easier to make the basketball team at Trinity (which plays in the D3 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference) than at TAMU (SEC) or UT (Big 12).

Small private colleges often do very well at placing graduates into medical schools. Trinity claims 90% medical school placement for students with a 3.6 or better GPA.
    https://new.trinity.edu/academics/departments/advising-programs/pre-medical-and-health-professions
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    D2 schools aren't always lesser in academics. Colorado School of Mines is D2.

What are you planning on studying?
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Academics comes before sports. Plus, if you're planning to go to medical school, it's very difficult to maintain a top GPA while traveling for basketball games. I would go all in at Texas A&M. They have a huge student gym there with a basketball court. Grab a ball and a few friends and play.
This discussion has been closed.