Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PLEASE help me find some colleges to apply to, given my unique situation

Replies to: PLEASE help me find some colleges to apply to, given my unique situation

• equationloverequationlover Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    @UMDreamer, thanks, you too! Since we have a similar taste in schools; what safeties did you apply to?

Lol the sad thing is that I had my teachers submit recs for Lafayette and Lehigh, now I’m not going to end up using them.
  • UMDreamerUMDreamer Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    edited December 2018
    Yeah. I was selected for financial verification which means I have to submit additional documents besides FAFSA and css profile. I hate the college process so much!
    @UMDreamer, I just sent in CSS/FAFSA and they were good. It’s probably because they’re a need meet School. ASU is wanting additional verification even tho I sent in FAFSA.
    I applied to Wooster as my safety. It's a great school with great merit aid, but it's tiny! It definitely isn't right for everyone because of its size and location. I might consider going there.
    Additional verification can be selected by the individual school or the government. If it's the government, you have to submit the additional documents to every school. It's horrible.
    edited December 2018
    I’m sorry to hear @UMDreamer

Yeah that’s my only issue; I don’t like small schools. I am considering no to RH because of that.

I know people going to Wooster for acting/BFA and they love it! Also Wooster is on the CLCL list, so they obviously have something going for them. And they require a research project, which would be good for any STEM major.

Honestly... the size is the issue. I want a big school, but the only issue is that really big schools such as OSU are usually state schools and DO NOT give very much aid to OOS students. ): I may have to compromise.
    Yes. Hopefully OSU will come through for you though!
    edited December 2018
    Update: I just got a merit scholarship from Dayton. I basically got a half-tuition scholarship. Tuition is now down to 20 K per year, not including aid. I also got $3K a year for study aboard.

$13 K is room and board. Book fees if you file FAFSA (which I did) are $0 because they’ll pay all four years. Dayton is very generous.

Right now cost is $33 K total. With PG, it would be $27 K per year. The average amount of aid given is 16K a year, so that would bring the cost down to 11K per year. I’m guessing I’ll get more than the average, so I’m looking at the cost to be in the 10K range.

I have not sent my updated ACT score yet, if I do it does put me in a different scholarship bracket, so I should get more. I’m going to email financial aid and see if they can relook at my merit package.
    edited December 2018
    Update: BARLEY got a C- in calculus. Oh my god. My exam saved me. First quarter was fine (barely a B), then second quarter came and with everything going on in my personal life (there’s more that’s been going on than just the medical situation, don’t really want to get into it...) my grade was really rough.

At this point I am wondering if I should just withdraw my app from U of M or CWRU, and instead focus on schools that either have rolling admissions or that won’t require mid-year grades. And tbh, I was very unprepared for exams because of my school pulling all of that stuff last minute.

I’m confident that I will get a C or even a B for my final grade.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,759 Senior Member
    No reason to pull the applications. Let the schools be the judge not you. You already know they can both be crapshoots anyway. Let destiny take its course. In the meantime, start getting excited and learning about your other school choices and narrowing that down. I had two patients from Iowa State in engineering today and they love the school!!!
    @Knowsstuff true.

Just heard back from Valparaiso- I got 23K a year in merit Scholarships. That’s leaves total cost (w/ room and board) at 29 K per year. There’s one other scholarship I’m applying to from them that’s 4K a year. So hopefully the cost is down to 25 K a year, then 19K a year with PG.

It looks like Dayton might be the most affordable thus far.
    One way or another your going to go to college and become whatever you heart leads you to. You have great choices.
    That’s true. Since I am really not sure of Lehigh (with it’s astronomically low RD admit) and Lafayette, I am thinking of adding Miami (OH), and possibly FSU since I’d get good merit both places.

Miami superscores ACT, so I should have a 32. Total cost in state is $33K with room and board. Expensive, but I will get merit. It does have a reputation of a pretty preppy atmosphere (because it is REALLY expensive for an instate public school, a lot of kids who are better off end up there if not admitted tOSU.) So I’m not really sure there’s much socieconomic diversity there.

But, they do have good engineering (non- doctorate rankings) and business. Since I intend to do my own engineering business one day, I thought this might be a good option.

Also thinking of FSU (might qualify for instate waiver) and maybe Baylor?? It is kind of weird as an option since most of my schools I’ve applied to are Midwest (besides ASU and U of Az.) Does anyone know about FA there?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,162 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Do add Miami OH if it's still time for merit aid/honors college, same thing for FSU.
    University of Ohio? UCincinnati?

Apply to a few from: UMN Morris, Augustana IL, Bradley, UIowa, Ohio Wesleyan, Allegheny?
    Others that wouldn't be overrun with CS majors: Dickinson? Skidmore?
    The question before applying would be to run the calculator to see if any apparent advantages compared to what you have currently. You do have some nice choices already.