Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PLEASE help me find some colleges to apply to, given my unique situation

Replies to: PLEASE help me find some colleges to apply to, given my unique situation

• aquaptaquapt Registered User Posts: 1,557 Senior Member
    Also, Berea College has a CS department. Excellent school, and their baseline is zero tuition for all students. It sounds like their faith-based mission might align with your values. https://www.berea.edu/about/mission/
  • equationloverequationlover Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    edited May 2018
    @MYOS1634 I actually visited UMich two summers ago and LOVED it. However, with my transcript now I am worried for aiming at a college that is so selective.

I also heard that their disabilities office is one of the best.

Yes, my Physics 1 class will appear as a W. My precalculus grade will appear that I had to retake it and shows the original grade... But my GPA will include the retaken classes grade, not the original. So that should leave me around a 3.8 GPA overall in H.S.

I would take physics 1, but my GC is worried because I had to drop out of it before, so she’s just recommended I take regular physics. She’s seen how bad of a year this is for me. She even said that I’m a fantastic student, I just overloaded myself this year because it’s hard to keep up with accommodations in fast paced classes, such as AP or honors.

Although I really do love UMich, I’m afraid my grades for this year really will take out the possibility of such a selective school. I’m afraid of aiming too high and then being ultimately disappointed.

I know this is against the law, but I basically had a teacher say they didn’t want to come in to do accommodations testing over the summer for the ACT, so my only option is to take it in September. (They’d have to proctor over a three week period.)
    @aqueapt Thank you! I’ve never heard of colleges that don’t make you pay any tuition at all. That looks like it does align with my values.
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 1,026 Senior Member
    Try Olin College of Engineering. Your stats might get you in, they pay 50% in tuition. The 10% acceptance rate might be tough but you have a good shot. Also it is a small campus and it might be easier getting around with 380 kids than 38,000. Don't know if that matters but it might. The support you would get in a small college of engineering might be critical or not. Plus, you might be able to get to 100% with 50% private scholarships. Good luck.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,572 Senior Member
    If you are a US citizen or legal permanent resident, or fall into one of the other categories (refugee, asylee, etc.) that allow you to file the FAFSA, the financial information that you and your parents record on that application will determine your eligibility for Pell grants (scholarships that you don't have to pay back), federal student loans (that you do have to pay back) , and federal work study money (that you have to find a qualifying campus job for, and work enough hours to earn).
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,162 Senior Member
    Make sure to repair that grade in precalculus and copy/paste the little paragraph in your commonapp/"additional information" section. And yes you'd have a shot, even if obviously these schools would not agically become matches. ;) Without repair+ paragraph your odds would make those schools out of reach. So... Get an A.

Regarding the refusal to offer accomodations over the summer, can anything be done?
    Why does the test take three weeks? (I thought it took three weeks because it was during the school year and you had school days without testing). How can 4hours be stretched so much?
    What about taking the sat, would that be shorter? They have sessions in June and August.
  • DafflyDaffly Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    I feel like colleges are a little more forgiving than we make them out to be. If you explain your particular situation, and describe how you learned from it, you should be okay. If you are a national merit scholar, there are some schools that provide full rides for national merit scholars.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,920 Senior Member
    Your parents are married, right?
    edited July 2018
    @MYOS1634 Hey, sorry the late reply.

It looks like I’m going to get an A in the precalculus summer course, so I think I’m good there! (It ends next week.)

I have been busy with summer school. Unfortunately, no because this teacher is the only one who can actually proctor kids on a 504 Plan.

It takes three weeks because I get double time, so it’s a total of 8 hours instead of 4. I actually have to take it after school, so 1 hour a day. I don’t take the test every day though. I take breaks (as is on my 504 plan), which is why there’s a three week window (as is with all kids who have double time on the ACT, there is a three week window to take it.)
    @ucbalumnus No, my parent aren’t married. They’re divorced.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,162 Senior Member
    Thanks for the news!
    CONGRATULATIONS on that A. Impressive because it's a hard class and over the summer it's super compressed. :)
    Keep up the good work.
    @MYOS1634 Thank you! It was a six week course, and precalculus has a LOT of content (because it’s like a combination of advanced geometry/algebra, plus new content like polars and vectors and such.)

Is it worth it to apply to place like University of Michigan?
    If your parents are divorced, that can complicate matters regarding need-based financial aid, because many of the colleges with good need-based financial aid require both parents' financial information.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2083835-faq-divorced-parents-financial-aid-and-net-price-calculators.html
    @ucbalumnus Thanks for the thread.

How do you know if a college requires both CP and NCP parents?

Either way, both of my parents make very little money combined.
    How do you know if a college requires both CP and NCP parents?

Look on the college's financial aid web site. See Q2/A2 of the linked thread.
    Either way, both of my parents make very little money combined.

Will both cooperate with the financial aid forms?