Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this a good list of schools?

MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Hello, all! I am a rising junior at a competitive public high school in NC and I’d like to know what you think about my list of colleges.

Gpa: 4.38 and 3.94
SAT: 1500
Last year I took AP Euro and AP World
This year I have AP GOV, APUSH, AP Physics, AP Lit, APES

My intended major is economics/ history and my extra curricular are as follows

Sports: I am a competitive tennis player and last year I obtained first team all confrence and first team all area honors during the high school season. I also qualified for the USTA Southern Championships twice.

Clubs: I an the founder of the Finance Club, a student council member, Beta Club Member, and Latin Club Officer.

Volunteering: In addition to my volunteer work with Beta club, I have been volunteering with Special Olympics since I was in 5th grade. I have participated in many tournaments around the south, including the North America Special Olympics tennis championships.

Awards:Freshman Year I was picked as one of 15 « outstanding young people » in the community because of my contributions to special Olympics tennis. My teacher also gave me an award for being a great AP Euro student.

Others: Last year I was a page in the NC House of Representatives, sponsored by the Speaker of the House. Next summer I will be a Governors Page.
Here are the schools...

Boston College
Hamilton College
Middlebury Collège
Babson College
Bowdoin College
Bâtes Collège
UNC (typically students in the top 20% of my class get in, I am top 8%)
NC State
Davidson
JHU ( my mother works there and my father attended school there)
Washington and Lee

Replies to: Is this a good list of schools?

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,294 Senior Member
    I think your list is great, partly for the quality of the schools you've sought out and partly for the, refreshingly, balance of matches and appropriate reaches you've included.

For support for some of your choices, and maybe some ideas for a few others, you can read through this analysis of faculty scholarship in economics: https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.uslacecon.html.
  • collegebound7789collegebound7789 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Looks great. You just need to add a couple more safety schools just in case.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,676 Senior Member
    edited June 9
    Why Babson? Its curriculum is very narrow compared to the other schools on your list.

Would you be happy going to NC State in the off chance you don't get into the others? Perhaps apply to a less competitive LAC or two as you seem to like smaller schools based on your list.
  • ShoutTurkeyShoutTurkey Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    That's a great list! I would imagine that you would get into a decent number of those. Like someone else above me said, maybe you should throw in one or two safety schools just in case.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,294 Senior Member
    If you would like to consider additional schools with more lenient acceptance rates (some just slightly), look into Colgate, Holy Cross, Trinity (CT), Kenyon and Denison.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,988 Senior Member
    I agree that Babson is an outlier.
    Are you a boy or a girl?
    Perhaps add one from UNC Asheville or App State or UNC W, applying by October 15 (check out the scholarships).
    I agree that adding 1-2 LACs that'd be easier to get into than those on your list, yet very good. Since you're recruitable for tennis, reach out to coaches at all the schools you listed (introduce yourself, your academics, your tennis background, attach your sports resume and a video).
    Finally, you should run the NPC on every college on this list and show the results to your parents to make sure they can afford net costs as defined by the NPC. You have to run the NPC on every college because the formula differs from college to college.
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thank you all for replying. I like Babson because of its proximity to Boston and quality economics program, although I do find the curriculum restrictive so that is certainly a con. I would be happy at NC State. Many of my friends will probably go there, I love Raleigh and it would be nice to save some money on college. I think I will add another LAC with a higher acceptance rate, I think Trinity and Connecticut College are good options.
    Oh and also I am male.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,458 Senior Member
    Based on your user name, surprising that the USNA is not on the list.
    @ucbalumnus I think about the naval academy a lot and it’s just so different than my other option so I didn’t really want to include it in this thread.
  • MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Do you want to play tennis and are you a recruit able for tennis at the D3 level?
    Seems like you might be and that would help with admissions at some of the schools on your list.

Have you looked into IR as a major? It is a mix of econ, history, government and foreign culture.

The Special Olympics EC would be a good match at Tufts (one of the women's tennis coaches works with them). If you can write a good essay about it, it would help with admission. Good match for your areas of interest, as well and it has D3 tennis.

• aquaptaquapt Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    If you'd consider the other coast, Claremont McKenna has one of the top econ programs in the country (#3 on the list merc81 posted earlier), and D3 tennis (Claremont-Mudd-Scripps joint athletics) with phenomenal facilities and perfect tennis weather almost all the time. :)
    They have a Special Olympics Club http://www.associatedstudentsofclaremontmckennacollege.org/special-olympics-club/ and hosted a major event when the Games were in LA in 2015 https://www.cmc.edu/news/cmc-hosts-special-olympics-athletes-and-coaches
    Their Semester in DC program has been operating since 1972 https://www.cmc.edu/washington-program

CMC admissions are highly competitive, but between your qualifications, your tennis, and the additional boost of "geographic diversity" (they only average one student per class year from NC) I think you'd have an excellent chance.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,389 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    Have you (or your parents) run the online net price calculators on each school?
    Can you cover the Expected Family Contributions without exceeding the federal student loan limits?
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized

Your list does appear to be balanced (reach-match-safety) for admission selectivity.
    As for safeties, IMO you really only need 1 true admission+financial safety, as long as you'd be reasonably happy to attend it. NC State seems to meet that need. Some people like to add a second safety just to ensure you wind up with a choice. IMO more than 2 is overkill.

You have some variation by type (LAC v. RU, urban v. rural/suburban).
    If you decide you have strong preferences for any such factors, you may want to replace some that don't fit. Babson in particular does look like an outlier.
    I am recruitable at the D3 level for most D3 schools. I have been contacted by multiple coaches. However, the schools I am interested in have some of the best D3 tennis teams in the nation. Middlebury just won the national championship. The only coaches on my list I have talked to so far are W and L and Hamilton.
    @tk21769 Thankfully, I have some wealthy relatives who have expressed interest in paying for my college. Additionally, one of the benefits of one of my parents job is that they pay for half of my tuition. Although my nuclear family isn’t rich, we have a considerable amount saved for college, but we would still qualify for financial aid. Between all of those factors, paying for college shouldn’t be a huge issue.