right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What tier of colleges can I get into with these stats?

arminsarmins 0 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
School Type: Public, 4000 total students
Race/Gender: Indian
Prospective Major: Econ or Business-related major (entreprenuer)
Unweighted GPA: 4.00
Weighted GPA: 4.55
Class rank: Top 1% out of nearly 1000

Grades:
Freshman- UW: 4.0, W: 4.33 (Max, 6 classes)
Sophomore- UW: 4.0, W: 4.43 (Max, 7 classes) AP world
Junior- UW: 4.0, W: 4.71 (7 classes) AP US History, AP Calc AB, AP Lang
Senior- UW: 4.0, W: 4.71 (7 classes) AP Gov, AP Econ, AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Bio *Expected

Tests:
SAT-1560
ACT-35

Awards:
no major awards

Extra-curriculars:
Forensics Speech & Debate - Nationally ranked LD (11, 12)
Virtual Enterprise - Marketing & Management - It's a program in which you simulate having a company and participate in local trade show competitions (11, 12)
Business Internships - Under a real-estate company doing basic tasks, learning about the field (11)
1800 Cafe Restaurant Job - Good ol' summer job, I did some content creation, graphic design, got a website designed for them as well (11)
Cepheus Co. Game Server - I spent an absurd amount of time administrating, organizing and working on this gaming project in which I learned basic server administration, advertising, and worked with other freelance designers and developers. End product was a game server with a unique gamemode and thousands of unique logins (9, 10)
Cross Country & Track & Field; 4 Varsity Letters total (9, 10, 11, 12 for cross country 9, 10 for track)
Around 200 Volunteer hours, ranging from working with and coaching special ed track athletes to just solid summer labor in the book room and supply room at school

Most of my ECs involve speech/business, if that helps.

LoR: 1 great, 1 amazing

Essays: I'm a good writer, above avg. - stellar essays and supplements
edited June 2018
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What tier of colleges can I get into with these stats?

• TAMS2021HopefulTAMS2021Hopeful 9 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I would say go for Ivy League! Your stats and grades are amazing, and to top it off your ECs are also good!
    · Reply · Share
  • shawnspencershawnspencer 3098 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    ^^^ That is poor advice. Ivy leagues are not the only good schools out there and many don't have business programs, which is what I assume the OP is interested in. Saying just apply to the ivy league very broadly isn't a helpful distinction.

Talks of tiers is silly. There is no predetermined tiers for colleges. You do have many great accomplishments, which should qualify you for some top schools, but like everyone always finds out college admissions in unpredictable. You should -- like most students do apply for a range of reaches, safeties, and matches.

The first thing you should do is figure out what type of college fits your interests and is an environment you would thrive in -- not all of them are the same. Just because it is a good school, does not mean it would be as good a fit as another school that is academically comparable. This is why talk about tiers is pointless and you should be focused on the characteristics of the school itself and then narrow down what you are looking for from there.
    · Reply · Share
  • MastadonMastadon 1729 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,778 Senior Member
    Babson is the top tier for undergrad entrepeneurship
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1707 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    Pick a part of the country that interests you. Find all top schools with good econ or business programs. Ivy, Duke, Vandy, UVA (non res) are all very challenging for admissions regardless of your great achievements. Others to consider in the east are BC, UNC, Wake Forest, Lehigh, Villanova, Tulane, Georgetown, William & Mary. Most of the great LACs are strong in Econ (don't have business schools) like Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina 1594 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,638 Senior Member
    You have the high achiever problem. Your stats make the very top schools statistical matches, but the schools that you match with have such low admit percentages nowadays that if you only apply to matches you have a nonzero chance of getting 0 acceptances.

You don't mention finances. If you're not from a well-off family, you have a good chance at some very good scholarships from second tier (t20-t50) colleges. You also don't mention future plans. If you plan to go beyond undergraduate, you may want to hunt merit awards for your undergrad years and save the family money to help you through law school or med school where the scholarships tend to dry up.
    · Reply · Share
  • RyanMichael23RyanMichael23 17 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Your stats are top-tier stats. However, despite that, your chances are still quite low, because there are many with stats as impressive as your own. You should definitely shoot for the top schools and you have a better shot than most, but don't set your expectations too high. You can definitely get into some T20 schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • boudersbouders 2420 replies167 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    Make sure to apply to all the UCs.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 1948 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,985 Senior Member
    To me, your profile says Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon. Because CMU has top-ranked STEM (especially tippy-top-tier computer science) and top-ranked business in the same place, it's a huge incubator for innovation and entrepreneurship. I get the same vibe from reading your post that I got from visiting CMU. Tepper is more selective than the University as a whole, with a 17% admit rate.

(Of course, MIT-Sloan would be nice too, but I don't think your record is STEM-heavy enough to score an admit there.)

Within the UC system, Irvine's business school would be a good fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76482 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,147 Senior Member
    Cost constraints?
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5016 replies64 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,080 Senior Member
    Congrats on your hard work. Apply everywhere you would like and ultimately can afford. You will get into many. Rejected by some and wl by some.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity